UKC

need help on sleeping bags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
hayley101 30 Oct 2016
hi, looking for a new sleeping bag. i was thinking about a good 3 season down sleeping bag that's reasonably light since i am getting into backpacking a lot more and i have a budget of around £200. i dont like rab since i've had bad experiences but i was looking at mountain equipment specifically the classic 500, the titan 425 and the helium 600. i can get them all for around £200 and they are all around a kilo. i have looked into down quilts but i'm worried about the fact i move a lot in my sleep and i also sleep quite cold. would anyone have any good recommendations or advice if down may not be too good in british weather.

thanks
 zimpara 30 Oct 2016
In reply to hayley101:

I have the ME titan 425. VERY NICE.
Bear in mind the rating for girls is less, so you might want a warmer bag yet depending on where you are going and what time of year.

I doubt there is much reason to use synthetics anymore for us weekend warriors who aren't out for prolonged wet periods.
 elliot.baker 30 Oct 2016
In reply to hayley101:

May I ask, I was considering buying a Rab down sleeping bag soon, similar to what you are after. Are you bad experiences with Rab specifically related to their sleeping bags, or are they just general Rab issues with clothes etc.?

many thanks
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 30 Oct 2016
In reply to hayley101:

I was going to recommend having a look at the Salewa Makalu range at Decathlon, I bought a couple last year around £150 and they have been superb, 1/2 the price of many comparable bags. Sadly they don't seen to do them any more!

Chris
Bellie 30 Oct 2016
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Its the Simond Makalu bag at Decathlon, and they do have stocks of them - although limited.

Billhook 30 Oct 2016
In reply to hayley101:

I was in a similiar situation to you. I asked the instructor/assessor at {Plas y Brenin when I was doing my Ml the same question.

His answer was to buy the most expensive bag you could afford. So I got a 4 season Rab down bag. Buy a 4 season one if you even lightly consider that you may be out in winter hills/mountains.
 IPPurewater 30 Oct 2016
In reply to hayley101:

As you sleep cold, I'd probably go for the Helium 600 with a second choice being the Classic 500. Note the Helium is slightly narrower at the foot. You've probably check the ME website, but if not they have quite a detailed description of all their bags. Cave and Crag have a good offer at the moment too.
hayley101 30 Oct 2016
In reply to elliot.baker:

i had issues with a waterproof and its put me off rab if i can help it.
hayley101 30 Oct 2016
In reply to IPPurewater:

unfortunately i am going to have to wait till christmas, i went out today and couldn't help but buy some salomon quest 4d gtx boots. so will end up having to wait till christmas but all advise is still appreciated. oops!
 Andypeak 30 Oct 2016
In reply to hayley101:

Have a look at alpkit online. Really good bags and cheaper than the big brands although the prices have recently gone up
 Fiona Reid 30 Oct 2016
In reply to hayley101:
I've just bought an Alpkit AlpineDream 1100 as I used to get to cold in my pipedream 600 in huts etc in winter (not outdoors but probably 3-4C). I tested the 1100 last night in the Tarf Hotel bothy and v. happy. A pipedream 600 will likely be fine for 3 season stuff but the AD 1100 is just sooo much toaster!!!

Thankfully got mine before the prices went up but I guess that's going to be how things work for the foreseeable
Post edited at 19:34
 elliot.baker 30 Oct 2016
In reply to Dave Perry:

Which Rab 4-season one did you get, and how have you found it? This is exactly what I'm in the market for atm.

Thanks
hayley101 30 Oct 2016
In reply to hayley101:

i think i will look into some 4 season or the warmer 3 season bags there are about, sems a good idea since there is nothing worse than a cold night sleep. so many choices, i will have to keep looking
 Billhook 30 Oct 2016
In reply to elliot.baker:

It is an old one, circa 1992, but the label says 850g of goose down. Its kept me warm down to -20 C with just a very, very thin cotton liner and just wearing a T shirt.

olddirtydoggy 30 Oct 2016
In reply to hayley101:

Depending on where you live it might be worth waiting for the factory sale at Mountain Equipment at the end of the year. Every year in Hyde they open their doors and sell off old stock very cheap. Second hand bags can go very cheap here and there. Put up a request thread in Outdoors magic and see what comes back. Wash the bag with a down wash and tumble dry it with tennis balls.
Profit!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...