UKC

Noob - any good outdoor bouldering spots near london

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Francescos 11 Nov 2016
Hello

Title kind of says it all..

I've been bouldering for a couple of months now, probably a bad time for me to start looking for places to climb outdoors as it's getting colder now... But, does anyone have any recommendations near London? ( I live in North West London) I can hop on the train for an hour or two if necessary. Also can drive.

Not sure about the 5a 5b 5b+ grades but I think I'm around a consistent v3/4 level. I think that's like a 6a or something maybe? Is it too soon for me to start climbing outdoors, should I get better and wait a while longer? I watch a lot of videos of people climbing outdoors and it just looks so much fun!

I hope to get into multi pitch climbing some time soon ish. Actually, just a thought while writing this: Being the noob that I am, is it better at my level to look for out door bouldering locations or normal rope climbing locations, Or does it not matter?

On a side note, will my indoor bouldering shoes be suitable for outdoor climbing? Or will I have to get a new pair?

Thanks in advance - any replies much appreciated!
Removed User 11 Nov 2016
In reply to Francescos:
Hi

Is it too soon to start climbing outdoors - No I would recommend starting as soon as possible. Starting indoors is like learning to play football by going to a club's training sessions and dribbling round cones before you have your first kick-around in the park.

Grades - the V grade in London walls is so debased as to have become utterly meaningless just ignore it.

I'd suggest the peak district as a destination.

The same shoes should be fine but a good scrub under a tap to get the chalk off will help and take something to clean shoes between goes - and use it.

Post edited at 14:45
 CurlyStevo 11 Nov 2016
In reply to Francescos:
The nearest good bouldering is in the peak district. It is possible to do this by public transport but it would be a weekend trip being quite expensive and several hours away. It would probably work out cheaper and a lot less hassle to drive / car share although it will still take you 2.5 hours to the closest venues.

Another option is southern sandstone on the kent sussex border mostly around eridge green. The rock quality varies a lot but on the whole its not amazing and takes a long time to dry out and most years isn't climbable between October and March/April but in unusually dry periods it can be climbable in these months. From SE London its quite close, but from NW its quite a way away.
Post edited at 14:52
 Mark Haward 11 Nov 2016
In reply to Francescos:

Southern Sandstone such as Stone Farm, Bowles and Harrisons. Browse the guidebook for inspiration.
 JLS 11 Nov 2016
In reply to Francescos:

Your shoes will be fine indoors and out.

Go to Fontainebleau...

http://www.boulderbus.co.uk/Destinations/boulderbus.htm
Removed User 11 Nov 2016
In reply to Francescos:
As CutlyStevo says above the Southern Sandstone will be too damp and therefore fragile, to climb now until late spring unless we have some exceptional weather and anyway is a looong trip from N.London
Post edited at 14:58
 BoulderGoat 11 Nov 2016
In reply to Francescos:

If you fancy just a chilled day out in London, nothing too serious, look up Fairlop Boulders. I mean it's artificial but still a good bit of fun for a day out. Not outdoor rock in the normal sense though. I wouldn't go there purely for the climbing but it's a nice spot for family friendly easily accessible day out.

Then yeah, peak district as the others are suggesting.
 Wsdconst 11 Nov 2016
In reply to Francescos:

I bet there's some cool urban builderers knocking around in London, if I were you I'd seek them out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...