UKC

Lakes touring in downhill boots?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 benji 19 Nov 2016

Hi folks

I'm keen to have a go at ski touring in the Lakes and Scotland but can't afford to buy loads of kit. I already have downhill boots and all-mountain skis. If I buy touring bindings and skins is it possible (enjoyable?!) to tour in downhill boots and all-mountain skis to start off with or will it just be miserable/not possible?

Thanks for the advice!
Ben
 top cat 19 Nov 2016
In reply to benji:

I would have though not possible with any degree of enjoyment.

Have you checked Winterhighland forum for second hand boots? Sensible option.
 kevin stephens 19 Nov 2016
In reply to benji:

what shoe size are you? I have some boots for sale, UK size 6.5-7 (also skis bindings skins)
OP benji 19 Nov 2016
In reply to kevin stephens:

Ok makes sense, cheers. Kevin - I'm 9 I'm afraid.
 TobyA 19 Nov 2016
In reply to kevin stephens:

> (also skis bindings skins)

What are they that your are selling?

kevin stephens 19 Nov 2016
In reply to TobyA:

Scott Missions (158) with Coltex skis, Fritshi Eagles, small with ski crampons, Scarpa Denali (rocker full vibram sole but no tech fittings) approx. UK 6, Black Diamond factor 110 with DIN and tech soles approx. UK 7 (well used but too big for me)
 AdrianC 19 Nov 2016
In reply to benji:

You can tour just fine in downhill boots. You might want to take alternative footwear for any skis-off sections of the day and consider undoing all the buckles for skinning for better ankle movement. Also suggest take tape to cover any hot spots that might develop on your feet before they blister.
 Pete Houghton 19 Nov 2016
In reply to benji:

My first few seasons of touring were on downhill boots and Marker bindings. It certainly wasn't as easy as I find it now with good kit, but I survived. Definitely not as comfortable, but it gave me a little bit of perspective on what the difference is.

If you can't spare the cash, cope with what you've already got, and then enjoy the contrast between the two when you can afford new toys.

And if anyone smirks or sneers at you for having less-than-ideal kit, f*ck 'em! Just go outside and have fun.
 Tom W 19 Nov 2016
In reply to benji:

I have some old touring boots that should fit Benji. A bit battered but I wouldn't want much for them. I'll have a look in the garage tomorrow and send you an email if you're interested. I'm based between junc 13 of M74 and Edinburgh.

Tom
 Jim 1003 19 Nov 2016
In reply to benji:

Walk up, ski down.
OP benji 19 Nov 2016

Thanks for all the advice chaps - much appreciated. I'd certainly consider those boots Tom if they're a size 9. Ben
 Tom W 20 Nov 2016
In reply to benji:

Right Ben, they're a pair of Garmont Radiums, 325mm, which is a mondo 28/28.5 or UK 9-9.5. I'm a 9.5-10 and they're just a bit snug for me. I bought second hand on a punt last year but didn't work out for me.

One of the buckles is missing a pin but should be an easy enough repair with a split pin / rivet. Maybe from a ski shop? And the liners are not the originals, but Lange ones. Soles have lots of life left, will work in alpine bindings, AT bindings like Fritchi Freerides and it has the pins for Diamir ones too.

£50 posted?

Thinking about it I might have some old coltex skins too - quite narrow from memory.

Tom
 Tom W 22 Nov 2016
In reply to Tom W:

Sorry, should say dynafit.

> will work in alpine bindings, AT bindings like Fritchi Freerides and it has the pins for Diamir ones too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...