UKC

Any Recommendations for a Bivi Bag with Midge Net?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RobScotland 23 Nov 2016
¨Can anyone recommend a bivi (bivvi or bivouac) bag with built-in midge net?

I bivi out in Scotland and Arctic Norway (where blood sucking insects range form midgies similar to Scotland to mosquitos to agile flesh-cutting bloodsuckers the sise of a bee) and I'm allergic to bloodsucking insects so keeping them away while I'm asleep is a big help.

Ideally, moderately light weight would be nice (but anything's gonna be better then the military bivi bag I use at the moment...).

Thank you all for your help!
 LG-Mark 23 Nov 2016
In reply to RobScotland:

I use an MSR AC bivy, which has a bug net and cowl. I really like it - its also much bigger than most bivi's so feels very spacious.
Its one limitation is that the bug net portion can't be sealed so in really squally weather you may get some rain in.
Breathability isn't as good as the military Gore-Tex bivis but its not bad, particularly if its windy and/or you try to make sure you breathe out through the bug net.

My son uses an MSR Twilight bivi, which is smaller (its a pretty standard size so its not "small"), lighter and more breathable than the MSR with bug net and zippable cowl. Its not got taped seams but is very waterproof and hes not had any problems with it, although he's not used it in torrential rain.
 benp1 23 Nov 2016
In reply to RobScotland:

Borah bivi has a midge net and is very lightweight, huge too. But it's water resistant, not water proof... good under a tarp, not so good on it's own in proper rain
 kingborris 23 Nov 2016
In reply to RobScotland:

Outdoor research helium?
 LG-Mark 23 Nov 2016
In reply to kingborris:

> Outdoor research helium?

I looked at those, but they are pretty small
 olliehales 23 Nov 2016
In reply to RobScotland:

Snugpak stratosphere?
In reply to RobScotland:

Terra Nova Jupiter is goretex, has a sealable bugnet, and has a hoop (which I sometimes leave at home to save weight). Ideal for wet and bug infested environments.
 Dave Cundy 23 Nov 2016
In reply to RobScotland:
I've just bought a very lightweight tent from tarptent. I weighs 1kg and used bug net to link the flysheet to the groundsheet. Much more space than a bivy bag packs down to the same size, its the way to go.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...