UKC

Down repair

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 waterbaby 04 Dec 2016
I've a small tear in my Rab, anyone know how I can stop it getting worse that doesn't involve gaffer tape?

Ta
 greg_may_ 04 Dec 2016
In reply to waterbaby:

Tenacious Tape or Tuff Tape are both seethrough.

Or just use Duct tape like a normal person.

It's a right of passage for a down jacket.
 knighty 04 Dec 2016
In reply to waterbaby:

Spinnaker tape. It is used to repair sails and kites. It works wonders and you can buy it in different colours too.
 Jimbo C 04 Dec 2016
In reply to waterbaby:

Needle & thread worked for me. Keep the stitches small
 Timmd 05 Dec 2016
In reply to waterbaby:

Needle and thread, and then sail repair tape in a colour which most appeals?
OP waterbaby 05 Dec 2016
In reply to greg_may_:

I don't do normal, always have to be different
m0unt41n 05 Dec 2016
In reply to waterbaby:

The "clever" way is to use iron on tape but fit it reversed inside, will need to fold and then open up once pushed through tear, like a ship in a bottle. A few small stiches to hold the tear together and then iron on to set. It once worked for me for a small tear. And once did not with the result I had to make the tear worse to remove my mess to then take it into the market to get it done properly.

If you can get at a seam inside the jacket unpick a bit and seam grip tear together on the inside and reinforce with thin tape, I did that with another jacket.

Finally I had Rab repair a tear in the sleeve of a Rab Extreme down jacket, and invisible it is not. They sewed it then sewed a square patch on top, but its nice and strong.

You might have noticed a bit of a theme to my carelessness.

Mi|es 05 Dec 2016
In reply to waterbaby:

Check out tenacious tape. I bought some at the weekend to repair my own rab down jacket. It's designed to repair outdoor gear so is sticky, flexible and transparent and only costs around £7.

Alternatively, rab quoted me £25 to fix mine but you'd likely have to wait until February before they returned it to you.
 leewil86 05 Dec 2016
In reply to waterbaby: used that gorilla tape on mine seems to be holding up well at the moment
OP waterbaby 05 Dec 2016
In reply to waterbaby:
Thanks for all the replies. I'm temporarily using electrical tape to stop the down loss. Will look into the alternatives you have mentioned
Post edited at 23:16
 peterjb 05 Dec 2016
In reply to waterbaby:

I had the same problem this time last year and someone recommended tenacious tape. I bought a tube, used about 4 little bits to patch the holes and a year later and 1 wash later its still as tenacious as ever, no more downy leaks and I think my 18yo RAB may just live another 18 years!
 MeMeMe 06 Dec 2016
In reply to Mi|es:

Can you wash jackets with these tape repairs?

I've got various gaffa tape repairs that I was planning on cleaning up with some stitching and something like tenacious tape but my down jacket could really do with a wash...
 JimmAwelon 06 Dec 2016
In reply to MeMeMe:

I have washed my Rab and the Duck Tape patches stay put.
 Mr. Lee 07 Dec 2016
In reply to waterbaby:

My Rab belay jacket was ripstop and you can buy ripstop material easily. Either patches or material to be sown. I went for the latter as thought the material would be less stiff and so look a better job.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...