UKC

is there a good cheap approach shoe that can hike well ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jondo 10 Dec 2016
looks like a quest for the holy grail, can't find anything reasonable.
had the Evolv cruzer, was great and relatively cheap, but it is just canvas with a climbing sole, wouldn't want to walk long distance with it.

In reply to jondo:

I'm on the hunt to. They all seem to be £100+ which is a lot as I rarely get more than a year out of a pair.
 Billhook 10 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:

What are approach shoes for if they are not for hiking? Get yourself a pair of trainers. If you want to climb take a pair of climbing shoes.
 Pedro50 10 Dec 2016
In reply to Dave Perry:

Yes I approach a lot but I never actually get there.
 TobyA 10 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:

I bought Adidas Kanadia off the internet for 30 quid. Fit my wide feet well, good sole for UK summer mountain and Moor approaches and have a tab on the heel you can clip a krab into.
 WildCamper 10 Dec 2016
In reply to TobyA:

Good shout, ill be getting myself a pair of these i think!
 TobyA 10 Dec 2016
In reply to WildCamper:

Mine are bright orange which just makes them even cooler! Just checked - the pull on heel tab is actually quite big so makes clipping them onto your harness quite easy.

I think I did buy them from the loathsome Mr Ashley's website, but that model is so ubiquitous it seems last year's colours are available cheap in plenty of shops.
 wbo 10 Dec 2016
In reply to TobyA: what are they like for scrambling. My 'go to' outdoors shoe is the speedcross but they are very poor for scrambling and lethal on wet rock

TobyA 10 Dec 2016
In reply to wbo:

I wouldn't wear them specifically for doing a scramble, but on the rocky bits up to and down from the Rannoch Wall area of the Buchaille this summer they felt absolutely fine. It is quite an aggressive sole pattern - not quite full on 'studs' like fell running shoes like the speedcross - so, yeah, not really a scrambling shoe but the rubber seems sticky enough and the sole pattern seems to create some friction on blank rock http://www.coventryrunner.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/adidas_kanadia_B...

So good for the UK where mud or grass is as likely as anything on the approach, but at a guess not so good for wandering around on granite slabs in Norway or the US etc.
 llanberis36 10 Dec 2016
In reply to jondo:

Hi

Not cool at all, although the Gri Sport Dartmoor walking shoes are by far the most comfortable approach and walking shoe straight out of the box, and with vibram sole. Can get for about 60-70£.

So called approach shoes, whatever that means, appear to be stiffened trainers with a hefty price tag for the name

cheers
OP jondo 10 Dec 2016
In reply to Dave Perry:
> What are approach shoes for if they are not for hiking? Get yourself a pair of trainers. If you want to climb take a pair of climbing shoes.

i don't entirely agree, while its nice to be able to hike with them i would like to be able to climb a long route with them with no difficult pitches and then walk off. save my feet some pain, and the weight of carrying the approach/descent shoes on my back.

it indeed appears that for all those features + hiking it would be 100+ quid.
Post edited at 18:17

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...