UKC

!:63,360 maps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 11 Dec 2016
Anyone still use these?

I've got some which I bought in the 1960s, including for the Lake District .

Obviously you have to be a bit cautious when it comes to newer features like roads, and woods and plantations aren't always where shown, but so far as the Fells go they are accurate, and easy to use, particularly as the distance from the tip of my thumb t the first joint is exactly 1"
 pjcollinson 11 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Strangely, at the time you posted I was looking at the old Ben Nevis map of this scale.
 Brass Nipples 11 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:

I've got the one for the Lakes which shows the railways before they were decommissioned.

Lusk 11 Dec 2016
In reply to Lion Bakes:

> I've got the one for the Lakes which shows the railways before they were decommissioned.

I do that too!
I spend ages on here https://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm sometimes, with the 'Old 25K' maps on, looking at how things have changed. Don't know what year they are though.
 Brass Nipples 11 Dec 2016
In reply to Lusk:

The map legend often shows the date it was printed. If not look for magnetic north commentary for a date.
 cragtyke 11 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:

I've got a 1928 1" tourist map of the peak district with the coloured shading framed on the wall, and a well worn, much loved copy from the 70's in the glovebox of the car. The colour shading really brings out the topography of the area.
 3leggeddog 11 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Will they make a complaint back post brexit?
 joe.wahab 11 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:

I have a few - Dartmoor, Cairngorms and the Lakes. I like the hill shading - it's a nice touch.
In reply to joe.wahab:

> I like the hill shading -

Harvey's BMC Mountain Maps remind me of the old one inch to one mile OS Maps.

Anyone has maps from that crazy period when distances went metric but the heights were still recorded in feet?

Mike Parker's "Map Addict" is an excellent read for anyone interested in maps.

wercat 12 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:
I have a Lake District tourist map by the O/S from the late 1920s - no sign of the A66, obviously!

I think it is on linen, very handy for my wife to follow the progress of a classic 1930s murder mystery novel set in the Keswick area
Post edited at 08:15
 Doug 12 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:

I miss the 1 inch 'tourist' maps for an overview, the sheets seemed just the right size to have the Cairngorms and the Lakes on one sheet. Although maybe better for hanging on the wall than using on the hill?
OP Trangia 12 Dec 2016
In reply to cragtyke:

> The colour shading really brings out the topography of the area.

I agree it's brilliant and enables you to take in the relative topography at a glance
 Mark Bull 12 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia

> easy to use, particularly as the distance from the tip of my thumb t the first joint is exactly 1"

You have small thumbs! Mine are 1 mile on the 1:50k maps.

graeme jackson 12 Dec 2016
In reply to Doug:

> just the right size to have the Cairngorms and the Lakes on one sheet.

Even at 1 inch to the mile that would be too big to fit your pocket
 GrahamD 12 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Unfortunately my inch to the mile maps of anywhere I visit regularly are totally disintegrating now, but I used to love them for planning a route because the topology of the land was so clear from them and they covered a sensible amount of area on one sheet.
 Doug 12 Dec 2016
In reply to graeme jackson:

typed before drinking enough coffee...
 Andy Say 12 Dec 2016
In reply to exiled_northerner:

I've got some of the 'metric/imperial' maps for the Lakes. Contour interval is 50' I think.
 Andy Say 12 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:

So I'm not the only one to use the rule of thumb! Mine are 1k thick on 1:50000
 Doug 12 Dec 2016
Googling for one inch tourist map cairngorms brings up lots of phtos of a variety of covers but very few of the map itslef, but for the younger readers wondering waht us old farts are talking about, here's an extract
http://www.irelliott.force9.co.uk/Scotland/HPic/HMap/Braeriach.htm

ChrisJD 12 Dec 2016
In reply to Lusk:
> I spend ages on here https://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm sometimes, with the 'Old 25K' maps on, looking at how things have changed. Don't know what year they are though.

Your should check out https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/

(if you want to really zoom in, you have to pay, but still worth a look on the free service)
Post edited at 09:55
OP Trangia 12 Dec 2016
In reply to Doug:

Oh! Thanks for the print of the Cairngorms.

Those were the days, when British mountains were mountains with their lofty heights were 4 figures, starting with a 3 or a 4.

None of these piddling little 900s and 1000s you get today!
 Simon Pelly 12 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Have a 1960s Lake District map framed and mounted on the upstairs hall wall. Stare at it most mornings while cleaning my teeth either dreaming or plotting next adventure.
 Rip van Winkle 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia: I've still got several: Lakes, North York Moors, Peak District, Exmoor, Dartmoor. They don't come out very often these days. At one time I had three different Lakes ones - the earliest showed the Penrith - Keswick rail line, the next had it 'disused, and the last 'dismantled'. Also got a virtually full Lake Diistrict coverage of old edition 1:25000 square folded maps, each sheet 10k x 10k. The paths shown there are still the most reliable.

pasbury 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Can anyone remember the discovery of some highly inaccurate contour mapping somewhere in the North West Highlands. It transpired that they never got any aerial survey data for a few spots due to weather so the OS just 'used their imaginations'.
 Mike-W-99 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:

If you want to waste a few hours then http://maps.nls.uk is worth a look.
 daWalt 13 Dec 2016
In reply to Lusk:

ta for the link - that's a well cool wee app thingy.
 Cam Forrest 13 Dec 2016
In reply to pasbury:

It was the Fisherfield Forest, although. looking at a 1958 survey, they simply stopped drawing contour lines when they ran out of information.

A'Mhaighdean: highest contour 2850 feet; current height 3172 feet
Ruadh Stac Mor: 2850; 3012
Beinn Tarsuinn: 2850; 3074
Beinn a' Chladheimh: 2800; 2999

and some others were a bit ropy as well. Not the easiest area to survey on foot.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...