UKC

Baggage Strike - BMC insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sidewinder 17 Dec 2016
Looks likely that we may be arriving in Tenerife on Friday without our hold bags, so likely without most of our sport climbing kit, clothes etc. other than what we might be able to fit in carry on/get through security.
We have BMC insurance so I believe we will be covered through delay of baggage, has anyone experience of anything similar so we can plan, the office is not open until Monday.
Thanks
 gethin_allen 17 Dec 2016
In reply to sidewinder:

I'd check to see if you are covered by your insurance, most I've seen don't cover industrial action. I got totally shafted by the Lufthansa strikes when they cancelled my flight 22hrs before it was due to leave.
OP sidewinder 18 Dec 2016
In reply to sidewinder:

I have checked, I am covered as I took out insurance before strikes were announched
 gethin_allen 19 Dec 2016
In reply to sidewinder:

> I have checked, I am covered as I took out insurance before strikes were announched

That's reassuring at least.

You could take your boots with you in the cabin, hire a mat from Roxtar go bouldering
 nutme 19 Dec 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

> You could take your boots with you in the cabin, hire a mat from Roxtar go bouldering

I am always keeping harness, draws, belay and slings in my cabin luggage. had nuts and cams few times as well. Never was even asked about it by security. Only rope goes in from climbing gear.

My thinking is that if my bag gets lost / delayed I will buy a rope in local store and be able to climb.
 HeMa 19 Dec 2016
In reply to sidewinder:

For future reference... get a proper (non sports) travel insurance. They're not too spendy, and will cover you in case you get shafed by strikes and so on. Heck, my insurance actually verified that they would even cover me buying suitable sports equipment if my stuff does not arrive (and yes, I got that in writing...).
 GridNorth 19 Dec 2016
In reply to nutme:
> I am always keeping harness, draws, belay and slings in my cabin luggage. had nuts and cams few times as well. Never was even asked about it by security. Only rope goes in from climbing gear.

All I can say is that you have been lucky. I have personal experience of ropes, slings and karabiners being confiscated. I also have experience of friends ropes being confiscated on the same flight that mine went through on, just a different security guard.

Al
Post edited at 14:52
 Simon Caldwell 19 Dec 2016
In reply to GridNorth:

I've also seen climbing harnesses in cabin baggage being rejected by security.

It never ceases to amaze me that despite so many people's experiences to the contrary, some people are still happy to risk a ruined holiday because they've always been lucky so far.
 nutme 19 Dec 2016
In reply to GridNorth:

I agree about the ropes.

And agree about security guards. Was told off few times regarding walking poles. So far it worked just to go back and try another security gate / scanner. Very last resort you can always stroll back to check in desk and drop it in to the hold of plane. Did not had to do that yet (of maybe 50+ flights with climbing gear).
OP sidewinder 20 Dec 2016
In reply to HeMa:

The BMC insurance will cover use for clothes etc and hire of sports equipment.
Hopefully it will get called off, we will see.
I think double cover is not always a good idea http://www.gocompare.com/travel-insurance/double-cover/ and like the bmc insurance for the climbing side.
 Jim Hamilton 20 Dec 2016
In reply to sidewinder:
> I have checked, I am covered as I took out insurance before strikes were announched

Where is it covered out of interest? Travel Delay cover seems to refer to You the person being delayed , rather than just your hold bag?

edit - strikes appears to be called off anyway
Post edited at 18:06
OP sidewinder 21 Dec 2016
In reply to Jim Hamilton:

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/insurance/r/downloads/BMC%202016%2017%20Ev...

Under travel delay (also confirmed via phone call) if it had happened up to £300 to replace clothes etc. and £300 to hire stuff.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...