UKC

Isolator switch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Marc verity 27 Dec 2016
Hi I'm trying to take a supply from my garage socket to power a hot tub the garage is rated on a 32 amp trip witch is great for the hot tub.
If I link the isolator into the socket when the isolator is turned off so will the sockets in the garage can I link the neutrals in the isolator to keep the sockets powered up thanks hope someone can advise ?
 Ice Spider 27 Dec 2016
In reply to Marc verity:

You can't seriously be considering connecting a pool of water your going to sit in to an electrical supply without knowing the ins and outs of it are you?
Getting an electrician to do it properly and more importantly test it, won't cost that much considering the purchase cost of the spa.
 Fakey Rocks 27 Dec 2016
In reply to Ice Spider:

Are you on the right forum? Does searching wall sockets bring up cimbing forums in error? Searching electric leads does this too?
 DerwentDiluted 27 Dec 2016
In reply to Marc verity:

Wrong kind of leads.
 gethin_allen 27 Dec 2016
In reply to Marc verity:
> If I link the isolator into the socket when the isolator is turned off so will the sockets in the garage can I link the neutrals in the isolator to keep the sockets powered up thanks hope someone can advise ?

This just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. If you can't write a sentence to clearly describe what you what you want/intend to do then surely you can't trust your knowledge of the subject enough to do this work.
 John_Hat 28 Dec 2016
In reply to Marc verity:
There's a lot of variables here which you don't mention, but have a material effect on whether what you are suggesting is lethal or merely very dangerous.

Hence I would suggest that rather than asking a load of randoms on the internet whether you are going to fry yourself or your loved ones, or, for that matter, proceeding on a trial and error basis, you get someone qualified in.....

I know my way around electrics and something like this - if I attempted it (unlikely) - I'd most certainly have it thoroughly checked, both before and after, by someone who has passed exams on the subject and is experienced at this kind of wiring..
Post edited at 00:25
 DancingOnRock 28 Dec 2016
In reply to Marc verity:
You take the live from one socket and connect it to the live in of the isolating switch. You take the neutral from the same socket and connect it to the neutral in of the isolating switch.

You don't break into the ring main.

You then connect the live out and neutral out of the isolating switch to the hot tub.

BUT you need an RCD as it will be outside and also near water.

Get someone in. It won't cost much compared to what you've paid for the hot tub, and nothing compared to electrocuting your family and friends or setting fire to the hot tub.
Post edited at 00:35
 Cobbler 28 Dec 2016
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

> Wrong kind of leads.

...and wrong kind of wall!
 Greasy Prusiks 28 Dec 2016
In reply to Rock to Fakey:

There's the odd wall socket lurking on this forum in my opinion
 Billhook 28 Dec 2016
In reply to Marc verity:

Hot tub? Winter? Sounds like? fun? I think not.

Let us know how many people get electrocuted.
 Kevster 29 Dec 2016
In reply to Marc verity:

I speak as an electrician. I cringed when I read your op. Please, do not do this to yourself, it'll hurt at best. For a start, your 32amp socket circuit IS NOT SUITABLE TO CONNECT A 32amp HOT TUB TO! Do not try to do this yourself either, please. Secondly, where do I start? I could write an essay in response to your op. With lots of capital letters starting DO NOT......
There are regulations for a reason, and normally because someone has died doing something similar before. Please don't complicate my life with more regulations due to someone dying again.
I'm not over reacting, as pointed out previously, dipping family members in puddles of water connected to the national grid is hazardous to their health. Please take it as friendly advice from a professional electrician. Step away from the hot tub.
 sbc23 29 Dec 2016
In reply to Marc verity:

The problem with having a go at this is that it will probably appear to work.

The issue is what happens if/when a fault develops.

Naked, wet, stood on ground, exported earth, other metal things in garage, heavy things being dragged about and potential for cable damage, RCD protection, possible incorrectly sized existing DIY circuits, motor-rated or over-sized MCBs for pump motors. I'm normally a fan of having a go, but this is actually a situation where a proper electician is a good idea.
 Fakey Rocks 29 Dec 2016
In reply to Ice Spider:
Apologies,
my reply was obviously meant to be to the OP not to yourself!
 Fakey Rocks 29 Dec 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:
.. like the one they use for fixing the plastic holds on with, isn't it called a T-nut-spanner-tool?
Post edited at 21:40

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...