UKC

Greenland weather

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ricky Martin 03 Dec 2003
Hoping to go to Greenland this year anyone been if so what’s the weather like in July I have tried googleing but failed ………Miserably
OP Ricky Martin 03 Dec 2003
In reply to Ricky Martin: Ok Next year ooops
 Jack Frost 03 Dec 2003
In reply to Ricky Martin:

Greenland is a BIG place with varying climates - where you going specifically? North/South Interior/Coast?
 Tom Briggs 03 Dec 2003
In reply to Ricky Martin:

Southern Greenland for rock is awesome in July (been twice in this period). Take a head net though as the Mozzies are heinous.
OP Ricky Martin 03 Dec 2003

I am going to the south west cost can’t remember the exact place name but it is some thing like Talique ?

Thanks for the tips so far

Cheers

Ricky
 paul 06 Dec 2003
In reply to Ricky Martin: Probably 3 dry days for every wet one, but I've seen it rain for 10 days. You will want that mossie net and I've found that they don't like white clothes nearly as much as dark ones
Stephen Reid 06 Dec 2003
In reply to Ricky Martin: Summer alpine just about sums it up, often delightful with clear skies and sunshine, but it can get very cold if it is windy. I took a 700 gram down bag to the Staunings (half way up the East Coast) this July, and rather wished I'd taken a 900 gram one. Climbing clothing was Powerstretch tights and an Icebreaker wool thermal top, with a Polartec 150 fleece pullover when required, and one piece Pertex windsuit over the top. If it got really cold I pulled on my trusty Buffalo Belay Jacket. In retrospect some extra lagging for the legs would have been nice when sitting around basecamp on a windy day, but on the whole I think I got the clothing right. Never needed waterproofs at all, though you may do if you are nearer the coast than we were. It's a fantastic place and sure beats queueing for a crowded telepherique to attempt a disintegrating peak in the alps!
LINDHOLM 07 Dec 2003
In reply to Ricky Martin: the place is probably Tasilaq. I lived and worked in Greenland some years back. depending on your target July is a great time to visit Greenland. The climate is nice not too hot and not too cold (all though the evenings and nights brings the silent calm in). for rock climbing its a great time to visit SW greenland. if you get the chance when landing in Kangerlussuaq (sdr. Stromfjord) take a look at the BLACK RIDGE also called ravneklippen (the Ravens cliff) great opportunities.
if you would like to know more just mail me directly and I will provide you with al information you need.

Morten Lindholm
DENMARK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...