UKC

England to Hebrides?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 minimike 20 May 2021

I can’t work out whether it’s allowed to travel from England to the Scottish islands.. all info I can find says it’s ok to travel within Scotland including to the islands (with appropriate measures) and calmac are running.. but nowhere can I find out if it’s ok to enter Scotland from England, or travel to the islands having come from England!

any clarity appreciated!

OwenM 20 May 2021
In reply to minimike:

You can now travel from England to Scotland but you shouldn't stay in some parts of Glasgow or Moray. A few other council areas are looking decidedly dodgy so keep an eye on the news in case this changes. 

Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 20 May 2021
In reply to minimike:

I’m currently on Lewis having travelled from England a couple of weeks ago.  No bayonets at the border crossing, at least that I saw.

You might consider waiting for the weather to buck up, tho...

Neil

skog 20 May 2021
In reply to minimike:

You're fine - travel into Scotland is allowed from the rest of the UK, and travel within Scotland is allowed as long as you stay out of any level 3 or 4 areas:

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-travel-a...

It's not enforced, but you're asked to take a lateral flow test before travelling to the isles (a free one that you should arrange yourself).

Obviously there's a risk an area could get moved up to level 3 or 4, which could change things for you, but that's just a matter of luck, really.

Ed Booth 21 May 2021
In reply to skog:

So can you still drive up the motorway past Glasgow if that is level 3 or are you supposed to not go into that area at all?

CrawfMatt 21 May 2021
In reply to minimike:

Check the ferries if you are going. I was meant to go tomorrow but had the trip cancelled by Calmac. They said they've had trouble with the boats and only have smaller ones running. I was told they aren't taking any bookings until after 7th June.

skog 21 May 2021
In reply to Ed Booth:

You're allowed to travel through level 3 areas on the way to somewhere else; it's probably best to fuel up before or after that area:

"The regulations permit travel to or from a Level 3 area if you have a reasonable excuse.  They also let you travel through a Level 3 area to somewhere else. In doing so you should take additional care, especially if travelling by public transport (see section below) and minimise contact with others"

skog 21 May 2021
In reply to CrawfMatt:

>  I was told they aren't taking any bookings until after 7th June.

I've just booked a Hebridean break for the first week of the school holidays, so it probably depends on the route; there were warnings that the timetables could be subject to change for the next few weeks.

The other thing to watch is that ferries for the more popular destinations (e.g. Mull, Harris) are already starting to get booked out for the more popular dates.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...