UKC

Which clipstick? (Not Beta)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi all,

Over the years I've had a series of Beta clipsticks. I consider myself someone who looks after their kit... and each and every Beta stick has broken itself quickly and ended up being held together with tape. I'm far from alone on this. They're a good design but made to such low quality.

Can anyone recommend Pongoose or other alternatives? Happy to pay for durability. Or at least... an average build quality!!

The shorter it packs up the better!

Ciro 16 Oct 2022
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

That's interesting, I bought my beta clipstick second hand over a decade ago, and despite not being someone who's very good at looking after things (including having run over it in a 3.5T van), and extensive use (three years of full time sport climbing and plenty weekends whilst working for a living) it's still going strong.

Have you been unlucky, or have I been lucky?

MischaHY 16 Oct 2022

Pongoose are mint. So bomber that mine still works fine after accidentally dropping it 15m (not my proudest moment but I was at least along and rope soloing). Highly recommended. 

robert-hutton 16 Oct 2022

Superclip are well made and you can just buy the end to attach to any pole.

Petrafied 16 Oct 2022

> Hi all,

> Over the years I've had a series of Beta clipsticks. I consider myself someone who looks after their kit... and each and every Beta stick has broken itself quickly and ended up being held together with tape. I'm far from alone on this. They're a good design but made to such low quality.

Yup.  Same happened to the compact and the standard size I have.

I’ve had to send two Beta clip sticks back, one was repaired and the other replaced. 

midgen 16 Oct 2022

No complaints with my Pongoose. Packs down small enough to go in luggage. All metal where it matters, I don't know how you'd manage to ever break one. 

In reply to Ciro:

> Have you been unlucky, or have I been lucky?

Based on my friends experiences and this thread... I think you've been lucky!

Thanks to all above. Have ordered a Pongoose. Expensive now but cheaper in the long run no doubt!

Post edited at 20:00

For those interested or finding this thread historically ...

Went for a Pongoose 700+. Arrived extremely quickly with a hand written thank you from the owner of the firm I assume. Brilliant piece of kit. Well made. Well thought out. I ordered it with a brush that attaches (firmly) if needed.

All in all. Came in around £100. Twice the cost of a beta stick but there's no comparison. I imagine I'd get through another half a dozen beta sticks before this thing breaks.

Top marks Pongoose.

Post edited at 13:39

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...