UKC

Headtorch with USB-C chargeable battery

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Red_And_Black 16 Nov 2022

Had my headtorch (Petzl Core) nicked in a house burglary recently so after a new one.

Want one with battery (either removeable or integral) that charges with a USB-C socket as everything else I have uses them and they seem better than the micro USB ones.

Use is running, camping, walking at night and general bits and pieces. Ideally a single front unit not one front and back. Needs to be of variable brightness with a red light as well.

Petzl all are micro USB as are Black Diamond.

Seen the Lupine Penta recommended but it's £155!

Any ideas?

subtle 16 Nov 2022
In reply to Red_And_Black:

> Seen the Lupine Penta recommended but it's £155!

> Any ideas?

Ask for it for Christmas, its not that far away - if you've been good you may stand a chance. if not, well, start saving.

elliot.baker 16 Nov 2022

I agree micro is more fragile than C but I have a feeling it's not as widely used yet, especially in things that aren't explicitly a modern gadget (e.g. wireless headphones, phones etc.) so might really limit your options for headtorches!

If it helps usb C to micro adapters are £1.09 on eBay.... I love my Petzl Actik Core

It's a bit strange that the new generation of BD and Petzl torches still use micro USB. Not sure why they're not as good, but they do seem to be phasing out.

I'm currently reviewing the Storm 500-R and Spot 400-R, and other than the fairly pointless and often annoying 'power tap' function, this is the only thing I've been able to count against them so far.

That said, they of course come with their own cables so even if everything else you own uses USB-C it doesn't seem a big issue to just swap cables over when it comes to recharging. Personally I wouldn't make that my defining reason to choose a different model. I use an iPhone, and really don't mind carrying the two different cables with my power bank if I'm away from home. 

Andy DB 16 Nov 2022

I got given as a conference gift one of these USB cables with lightning, micro USB and usb c. Has, proved quite useful for travel when you need to charge a selection of different gadgets.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61miPF6qYqL._SX342_.jpg

Nutty 16 Nov 2022

There are USB-C chargeable headtorches out there. The Fenix HM65R Shadowmaster and HM50R V2.0 are USB-C, front unit and have a red light.

Fenix HM65r.

bright, indestructible and very popular with out local cavers.

OP Red_And_Black 16 Nov 2022
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Yeah the USB C isn't the main reason, just thought if I could find with one this it'd be better. Although that adaptor is useful.

The Fenix ones look good, will see what the reviews etc. say, thanks.

wilkie14c 16 Nov 2022
In reply to elliot.baker:

I too have an Actik core and would have wanted usb-c as my camera/microphones are usb-c so more compatibility. I’m hoping Petzl will release a usb-c battery for us 

TobyA 16 Nov 2022

You can add Biolite to the list of micro USB users because I'm reviewing two of their models currently and both have them.

When I got a phone with USB C, I had absolutely loads of micro USB wires, so just bought a pack of four adaptors for micro to C, and have had no problems with them. I see on Amazon they do USB C to Micro USB adaptors too. Here's four for 2.89 https://www.amazon.co.uk/EasyULT-Adapter-Female-Support-etc-Gray-Gray/dp/B0... If you have lots of USB cables, that seems like an obvious solution, although all the rechargeable bike lights and headtorches I have seen come with a relevant cable anyway.

Neil Williams 16 Nov 2022
In reply to elliot.baker:

Problem with micro USB is that the design is flawed - it's too easy to damage, e.g. if you're doing an ultramarathon and have plugged one headtorch into your power bank to charge in your rucksack while using the other one.  The plug is not held firmly enough in the socket to prevent movement damaging the central connector so it won't stay in any more or makes poor contact.

I too would like a USB C charging one.  I'd rather AAA rechargeable batteries than another micro-USB one.

Post edited at 15:43
 shuffle 16 Nov 2022
In reply to paul_the_northerner:

I have one of these and would really recommend it. Lightweight and really long battery life too.

In reply to paul_the_northerner:

Fenix HM65 series are great - I have 2 and use them 4-5 days a week at the moment - but they may be a bit bulky for a runner's headlamp. 

sbc23 16 Nov 2022

Fenix hm65r. If you get the T version it has a wide runners head band. 

Kryank 17 Nov 2022

Another vote for Fenix HM65RT. Recently got one and love it. 

StockportAl 18 Nov 2022

So plenty have already said it, for USB-C Fenix HM65.

Personnaly I use the HL60 which is micro USB for my caving.

Adam Long 18 Nov 2022

>It's a bit strange that the new generation of BD and Petzl torches still use micro USB.

Not true - the Nao RL has USB-C charge in/out through the same battery port used to connect it to the lamp. So you can use the battery as a 3200mAh powerbank to top up other depleted devices or store solar charge, as well as run the lamp off a mains charger (with reduced functionality, but should be fine in a tent). Petzl don't mention running it off a 3rd party powerbank which would seem to be a more obvious use but presumably it will work if everything is fully USB-C compliant - I'll test tonight.

It's much smaller and lighter than the old Nao and the lighting is an upgrade. Something of a game changer I think.

The other models of the new generation of Petzl headtorches still use the old Core battery (except Duo, big bespoke non-USB) so it depends whether they can shoehorn a fully compliant USB-C port into the Core battery. If they can, all your old headtorches will get an instant upgrade.

OP Red_And_Black 18 Nov 2022
In reply to Adam Long:

Looks like a Fenix HM65 is the one to go for, thanks all!

BattyMilk 18 Nov 2022

On the power tap feature. I expressed my great dislike of it in a previous thread. That said I have found a use for it on a recent climbing trip where I was stuck in the dark for 7/8hrs. I actually found it useful to be able to quickly toggle between high and low modes while hanging at belays to save battery and letting me see further on the few occasions I needed it. 

In a tent, walking to the pub or going for a midnight pee without disturbing the wife though (99% of my uses) it’s an absolute hindrance. 

doughobbs 18 Nov 2022

12 quid for 2, and they come with batteries, as a caver I can say these are probably the head torch deal of the year!

Ebay item 374228459034

Post edited at 18:48

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...