UKC

Wet suit vest?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 05 Mar 2023

I've got a Body Glove themal rash vest, which I've had for many, many years and is utterly brilliant, but sadly on it's last legs.

It's a hybrid vest with neoprene front and back, but Lycra shoulders/sleeves and neck, if that makes sense - lots of warmth in the body, but total freedom of movement in the arms.

Unfortunately, the Lycra has given up - it's falling apart and gone all loose.

Can anyone think of a current style that would be a direct replacement for it, please?

O'Neill Reactor is very similar, but is all neoprene.

I'd like to replace it before we go on holiday, as it's great for snorkelling in cooler waters.

Thanks,

deepsoup 05 Mar 2023
In reply to LastBoyScout:

I have something like that from Decathlon.  Erm..  this is it I think:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-surfing-short-sleeved-neoprene-thermal-...

Pina 05 Mar 2023

What size are you? Could potentially sell you mine for a rather nominal fee.

I've got the exact model you're talking about and been debating replacing it with something that's got an integrated hood as I've been using is as a baselayer with the wetsuit rather than on it's own. 

OP LastBoyScout 05 Mar 2023
In reply to deepsoup:

Interesting, thanks - how stretchy do you find it in the shoulders? I was in Decathlon last weekend and didn't see it - might be wrong time of year.

My wife bought the women's of this one last year and loves it - it's almost exactly what I want, but I really don't want the zip:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-top-anti-uv-short-sleeved-1-5-mm-neopre...

OP LastBoyScout 05 Mar 2023
In reply to Pina:

I think I'd be small in O'Neill, according to the size guide I looked at earlier.

I've used mine as a base layer under my old wetsuit in winter, but have a better winter suit now and a separate hood. I've also used it kayaking, snorkelling, paddle boarding and when I was having diving lessons - good for taking the sting out of a bad entry!

I really like the Lycra sleeves on mine, as there's no retriction on movement that I would expect with a double layer of neoprene.

Pina 05 Mar 2023

Mine will be a bit too big then I'm afraid. All the best finding an alternative!

Jenny C 05 Mar 2023

Decathlon don't seem to hold their full range in-store, so worth checking out the website. 

Mountain warehouse (again probably just online) have a good range of sensibly priced options.

That kind of hybrid layer are really popular with the outdoor swimming community (warmer than nothing, but less restrictive than a wetsuit) so there is a market for it.

Mr Lopez 05 Mar 2023

There you go https://www.shore.co.uk/ripcurl-flashbomb-neoprene-thermal-wetsuit-top-5.ht...

Xcel also do a 1mm sleeveless vest (aren't they all?). the lycra doesn't really do much anyway

deepsoup 05 Mar 2023

> Interesting, thanks - how stretchy do you find it in the shoulders? I was in Decathlon last weekend and didn't see it - might be wrong time of year.

I wear mine for sea kayaking when it's too warm for a cag or a wetsuit, and I've done some pretty long days in it quite happily so good enough I should think.  It might be a seasonal thing, or it might just be something that they don't stock in the smaller stores.  I have various bits and bobs from Decathlon that I bought in Stockport never having seen them in Sheffield, and that shirt might well be one of them.

> My wife bought the women's of this one last year and loves it - it's almost exactly what I want, but I really don't want the zip:

I also have a Palm Equipment 1.5mm neoprene t-shirt that sounds very much like that - all neoprene, no zip. (It can be a bit of a wrestle to get on and off.)

That I find isn't quite flexible enough in the shoulders for paddling, it's good for up to about 10km but after that it starts chafing horribly under the arms.  It would probably be fine for snorkelling -  I just had a look at Palm's website though, and it looks like they don't do it any more.  You'd be welcome to mine, I only wore it a couple of times before I gave up on it, but unfortunately I see upthread that it's the wrong size for you.

Dr.S at work 05 Mar 2023
In reply to deepsoup:

I've got the previous version of this:

https://palmequipmenteurope.com/gb/neoflex/2177-11297-neoflex-longsleeve#/2...

which is pretty good in the shoulders - the current version has thinner underarm bits so probably better.

Ridge 05 Mar 2023

I wear one of these:

https://www.lomo.co.uk/products/3mm-neoprene-swim-vest-mens/

With either a short sleeve or long sleeve thermal top (from Aldi or similar budget outlet) underneath for lake swimming all year round.

Post edited at 22:33
 deepsoup 06 Mar 2023
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Oh, my mistake, they do still do them.  (Very poor google-fu on my part.)

The one I was talking about is probably the short-sleeved version of the same one you have.  Um..  this: https://www.nswatersports.co.uk/clothing-c33/thermal-tops-c138/palm-kaituna...

OP LastBoyScout 07 Mar 2023
In reply to deepsoup:

> I also have a Palm Equipment 1.5mm neoprene t-shirt that sounds very much like that - all neoprene, no zip. (It can be a bit of a wrestle to get on and off.)

Agreed - mine is great on, great off and a battle in-between!

> That I find isn't quite flexible enough in the shoulders for paddling, it's good for up to about 10km but after that it starts chafing horribly under the arms.  It would probably be fine for snorkelling -  I just had a look at Palm's website though, and it looks like they don't do it any more.  You'd be welcome to mine, I only wore it a couple of times before I gave up on it, but unfortunately I see upthread that it's the wrong size for you.

I like the look of it, but it's pricing itself out of any consideration, anyway.

OP LastBoyScout 07 Mar 2023
In reply to Mr Lopez:

I've ordered the short-sleeve O'Neill version to try - for my use, if I need full sleeve, I'll probably be in a full summer suit or long sleeve cag anyway.

> Xcel also do a 1mm sleeveless vest (aren't they all?). the lycra doesn't really do much anyway

It keeps the sun off and makes it look a bit better than a vest, at least.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...