UKC

Yosemite Guide/ Easy Climbs Recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 robert Pratt 13 Jun 2023

I'm managed to convince the Mrs to include Yosemite in our honeymoon in August for a couple of days.  She doesn't climb, so compromised 1 days climbing and thinking of hiring a guide unless there is another way.

I regularly climb indoors 6b and can lead 6a sport outside. Not explored much trad other than Grooved Arete on Tyrfan which i seconded

Any easier routes/ recommendations on guides in the valley appreciated! 

seankenny 13 Jun 2023
In reply to robert Pratt:

Yosemite Valley itself will be hotter than the devil’s bum after a night at the curry house. Go to the Tuolomne high country which is stunning and will be a more comfortable temperature. You’ll find the climbing more amenable too. 

Post edited at 19:10
 Alex Riley 13 Jun 2023
In reply to seankenny:

Yosemite mountaineering school is the only legal/official guiding service in the valley. It's based out of the gear shop in Curry Village.

seankenny 13 Jun 2023
In reply to Alex Riley:

“Climbing classes are generally seven and a half hours long and meet daily at 8:30 am at the Mountaineering School in Curry Village or in Tuolumne Meadows.”

https://www.travelyosemite.com/things-to-do/rock-climbing/

That’s for classes so it seems reasonable that the guides would do high country days too. If for no other reason then it would be much more fun.  

IainL 13 Jun 2023

Do you have any accommodation? Valley camping and lodges are extremely busy and are usually booked months in advance. Try now online to get something. There are motels outside the entrances. Tuolumne and Lee Vining or other east side accommodation is worth a try.

Grumps 13 Jun 2023
In reply to Alex Riley:

I and a friend hired a guide for a day from the Yosemite Mountaineering School last autumn.  Easy to arrange, easy to meet up on the morning, friendly people at the centre and the guide - Chase - couldn't have given us a better day

helix 14 Jun 2023

You’ll have a great day with a YMS guide in the valley, they’ll know what route(s) to take you up. Have a great time! Yes, it will be hot and Tuolumne would be a great option but given your circumstances for one day even in August I’d still spend it in the valley.

Babika 14 Jun 2023

Regular Route on Sunnyside Bench is an easy 4 pitch valley climb at grade 5.4. I took my kids up it a few years ago to give them a Yosemite climbing experience.

But bear in mind you'll have to carry rope, harnesses, boots and trad gear on your honeymoon just for the experience. 

As others have suggested a guide and hired gear will be more sensible, especially if you don't have any trad lead experience. 

We did it in August so hot, yes, but not impossible. 

OP robert Pratt 16 Jun 2023

Thanks all for the advice and guidance, i appreciate it will be hot! I've contacted YMS about a guide/course they offer.

Sounds like the best option as don't have to take own gear etc. Looking forward to climbing in the valley and gazing up in awe a half dome!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...