UKC

Download quality options

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robert_H 20 Jun 2023

Hi team, feature request incoming (I know it's way easier to write stuff on UKC than implement anything).

Problem statement:

Rockfax is by far the largest app on my phone. This is mainly because I'm a bit of a weekend warrior and choose where to go each weekend based on the weather. For this reason I basically have most UK crags downloaded. This takes up a ton of space!! 

What's especially annoying is that some crags take up 100's of mb, and other are <1. There seems to be a wide range in image quality.

User story (what I need):

I would like to keep a wide range of crags downloaded (most of the UK), for approach reference, text and grades. I would then like to download crags of interest to me in full resolution. 

Implementation suggestion:

The download button (on both crags and guidebooks) gives you three options:

1. Text only (including people's UKC comments)

2. Low-res. Small file size, compressed.

3. Full quality. As it currently is.

A "downgrade crags you haven't accessed in X months to low res" option would also be super useful, but definitely harder to implement.

In reply to Robert_H:

Hi Robert. I'm afraid that you should not hold your breath waiting for these features. The amount of work required to implement them is beyond our current capacity, although I do fully appreciate their value and I've followed the same train of thought as you in the past. 

We will ultimately be working towards a system that allows for much finer-grained updates to packages, where eg a route grade could be changed and only that information be transferred to the device. Right now to propagate a route grade change we have to trigger an update for the crag that route is at, which as you've pointed out could be over 100MB.

This future system would lend itself to the type of thing you describe, but it will be years before it's done. 

OP Robert_H 20 Jun 2023
In reply to Stephen Horne - Rockfax:

That's also a great idea! Good to know you guys have similar thoughts. Thanks for the reply!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...