UKC

Yosemite beta - US climbing forum

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 duncan b 03 Jul 2023

Now that supertopo is dead, does anyone know of a US climbing forum for Yosemite beta? I'd like to know if the fixed ropes to mamouth ledge on el cap are currently in situ or not. 

tjekel 03 Jul 2023
In reply to duncan b:

Mountainproject.com will help for sure.

Fellover 03 Jul 2023
In reply to duncan b:

There's already a thread on the topic https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/124172300/current-condition-of-... they are currently in situ and apparently in quite good condition. Tbh I think they're basically always there these days, rangers don't seem to be bothered by them for some reason (I rather wish they'd go and chop them every day...).

OP duncan b 03 Jul 2023

That's great. Thanks both. 

Alex Riley 03 Jul 2023
In reply to duncan b:

If you haven't been before, make sure you know how to pass knots quickly going up and down.

Derry 03 Jul 2023
In reply to duncan b:

what happened to supertopo? 

OP duncan b 03 Jul 2023
In reply to Alex Riley:

Thanks Alex. I've been a few times, but I must admit it has been a while since I've passed a knot. Will make sure I brush up before I leave, along with hundreds of other big wall skills that have lapsed! Thanks for the reminder  👍.

OP duncan b 03 Jul 2023
In reply to Derry:

It closed down back in 2019. I think it got too expensive to run. http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/3198199/SuperTopo-Forum-to-shut-dow...

Alex Riley 04 Jul 2023
In reply to duncan b:

They got sued for copyright infringement related to use of images and it all got expensive and complicated is my understanding.

Offwidth 04 Jul 2023
In reply to Alex Riley:

Supertopo said the legal threats on what was said (more than copyright on what was posted) on the forums forced them to close. It's part of why I think UKC moderation is so essential.

From the link to Chris's explanation that Duncan posted:

>As I noted last week, the SuperTopo Climber's Forum has never been a profitable business venture. It costs us a significant amount of time and money each year to operate the Forum, and we have done so as a service for the climbing community for 18 years. But, the prospect of having to bear increased potential costs in the future, both in time and legal costs, due to litigation related to inappropriate posts by a minority of forum members has changed the math. I am sorry to say this, but we no longer feel we can justify continued operation of the Forum.

David Coley 05 Jul 2023
In reply to duncan b:

They are. I used them last week 

In reply to Offwidth:

> Supertopo said the legal threats on what was said (more than copyright on what was posted) on the forums forced them to close. It's part of why I think UKC moderation is so essential.

I don't want to derail the thread, so will start with something relevant, which is to say that I had a complete sh*tshow passing a knot and basically had to figure it out on the job, which resulted in a completely ramshackle not HSE approved technique. I did something similar with my method of lowering out on my first trip too, which involved a lot less lowering and a lot more swinging sideways. Oh to be young, confident, and mildly reckless 😅

In terms of moderation, I really empathise the situation supertopo found themselves in, and am saddened that it ended how it did, because they were a really valuable resource. 

Tangents aside, what route have you got in mind Duncan?

OP duncan b 06 Jul 2023
In reply to David Coley:

> They are. I used them last week 

Oh nice. What did you get done? Are you still out there?

OP duncan b 06 Jul 2023
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Haha. Sounds memorable. The plan is do Salathe but I don't want to jinx it but stating it on a public forum. Oh well.......

David Coley 07 Jul 2023
In reply to duncan b:

I was playing around on Jolly Rodger. Unfortunately my daughter took a fall in the dark and damaged her ankle so we had to self evacuate and got very little climbing. Now back in uk.

In fact a bit of a wash out. Rain followed by me being ill then my main partner only have a small window. 

Can't decide if I'm too old and weak now for the captain, or to try and solo the shield. Not soloed El Cap.

Have fun.

Fellover 07 Jul 2023
In reply to David Coley:

> I was playing around on Jolly Rodger. 

'Playing around' on A4+ is a bit of an understatement! How was it?

dominic o 08 Jul 2023
In reply to David Coley:

We had a good view of Jolly Roger from the adjacent Sunkist a few years ago - looks "fun!" 

As for playing the "too old" card on El Cap, my mate Bill was 70 for our ascent of North America Wall a couple of years back:

https://rockaroundtheworld.co.uk/2018/08/27/north-america-wall-trip-report/

"Solo The Shield" sounds like a great adventure! 

David Coley 08 Jul 2023
In reply to Fellover:

After Scarlett received what we thought initially was a broken ankle, we retreated. Not much climbing done

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...