UKC

Montgrony beta

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 m4doyle 04 Sep 2023

Looking at a potential 2 week trip to   Montgrony in late October.

anyone been? If you went, what month did you go? What were temperatures like? Hoping late October is not too warm with everything being south facing?

any other crags to checkout in area? Any specific sectors of montgrony to check out? I already have the new ripolles guidebook.

thank you!

Alun 04 Sep 2023
In reply to m4doyle:

I've climbed at Montgrony several times. October is usually a good time to go, if you're unlucky it might still be quite warm but you're high up and so have a good chance of catching a breeze.

You don't mention your grade range, but it's worth pointing out that Montgrony is generally very steep, and the climbing is better in the higher grades. Neither the quantity nor the quality is so high in the 6s, certainly not enough for two weeks. 

The other major crag of the area is Gombren, which has a couple of impressive sectors and is probably more interesting if you're climbing in the 6s. El Clot de l'Espasa is also supposed to be quite good in the 6s, though I've never been.

OP m4doyle 05 Sep 2023
In reply to Alun:

Thanks for the info. Would be climbing 6c-7b so hopefully plenty to go at for 10 days

Ramon Marin 05 Sep 2023
In reply to m4doyle:

I find Montgrony mostly a winter crag, but There are shade and sunny sectors so works for any season. La vena and the carpark sectors will be too hot I guess in late october in my view, unless it's cloudy, but the sector around the corner will be just fine. I also recommend Clot de l'espasa, good routes up there. 

tomrainbow 05 Sep 2023
In reply to Ramon Marin:

Sadernes isn't too far away and is perfect at that time of year. One of my favourite places to climb on the continent. 

dominic o 08 Sep 2023
In reply to m4doyle:

We had a day in March at Montgrony and got our arses kicked on what should have been some "easier" routes (dodging seepage on the harder sectors). Absolutely stunning spot though! https://rockaroundtheworld.co.uk/2018/03/28/montgrony/

Also recommended in the area are the crags around Bergueda (in fact the whole of the Berga valley). There's an excellent new guidebook but you can also pick up a free topo from the Tourist Office which covers ten of the best crags if you're just passing through. Details here: https://rockaroundtheworld.co.uk/2023/03/10/beguiled-in-bergueda/

Enjoy! Cheers, Dom 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...