UKC

Multi-Day Hike Dolomites

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Miskawroe 06 Sep 2023

Looking for a starting point for multi-day hike next summer through the dolomites - hut to hut. Length wise, looking for something anywhere between 3-7 days long. Also would like it to include a good amount of Via Ferrata to vary the days. Looking at it, the Alta Vias are the most popular, but open to other recommendations.

beardy mike 06 Sep 2023
In reply to Miskawroe:

I did a route a few years ago starting at Carrezza pass, over the Dent di Diablo and Roda di Vael, to rifugio di Fronza, then up the Santner pass VF past the Vajolet towers, over to Rifugio Principe, did the Cantenaccio d'Antermoia, then walked to Rifugio Tierseralm, did a ferrata of the Terra rossa, then across to the sella pass. Our plan got disrupted by poor weather, for a day otherwise we would have gone up the Possnecker VF across the sella plateau and down to Passo Pordoi (probably using the cable car), and then to walk to the foot of Marmolada to do the west ridge. In the end we walked down to Canazei and caught the bus up to Marmolada. If you did that lot at a steady pace I reckon it would be about right if you've got half decent legs on you. If you wanted to you could add in the VF delle trincee before Marmolada.

In reply to Miskawroe:

The sorapis circuit is ace but not quite long enough for you. Maybe you could link it up with something else though?

Gustavo 06 Sep 2023
In reply to Miskawroe:

The traverse of the Brenta from north to south is good fun and you can do it over 5 days staying in four huts along the way.

shaigh 13 Sep 2023
In reply to Miskawroe:

There are so many huts and so many VFs it's hard to know where to start The trouble with the AV routes is they aren't round trips, but public transport is pretty decent so it's not the end of the world. When I did a multiday route there a few years ago I just picked a town that was easy to get to (Selva) and found random huts on the map that seemed to be the right distance apart.

If you want more inspiration than just sticking pins in a map have a look at:

This site has a load of good looking multi-day routes (by chance I just found it a few days ago): https://inafarawayland.com/category/dolomites-hut-to-hut-treks/

There's also a Cicerone guide https://www.cicerone.co.uk/walking-in-the-dolomites

robr0712 13 Sep 2023
In reply to Miskawroe:

If you wanted something circular, the Palaronda circuit is great and can be adapted to include via ferrata along the route. Can reach San Martino di Castrozza easily by public transport - it's worth having a look on the Palaronda Trek website at what they call the 'Palaronda Hard' if you're after the VF.

Rifugio Treviso (in the Val Canali) in particular is delightful - spectacular location, lovely staff and has a short half-day via ferrata almost immediately behind the hut.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...