UKC

B2 boots for better ankle support?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 shaigh 13 Sep 2023

I've developed arthritis in both ankles over the last few years, I've seen a consultant and had a minor op (arthroscopic debridement) to relieve some of the pain but it's not something that will go away. The surgeon's advice was that I can, and should, continue hiking but I should look for boots with a lot of support.

I currently have pretty good boots, they're normal hiking boots that have served me well in the UK and the Alps for multi-day hut to hut treks, they certainly offer more support than regular footware, but there's still quite a bit of ankle flex. Sadly, as the arthritis has progressed they don't really offer enough support on bigger ascents or descents. I was wondering about switching to a B2 boot, e.g. Scarpa Ribelle Lite, as they seem to go slightly higher up the leg and are obvioulsy designed to offer more support. Specicifcally I'm looking to limit the forward / backward flex, which ironically many boots try to improve to make the boots more comforatable

I'm slightly wary as I'd be using them year round so they'd be very warm for summer use, but if they support my ankle better it would be worth it to me if I can spend more time in the mountains.

Has anyone else with dodgy ankles gone this route? If so, did it help?

In reply to shaigh:

I'd say look into the Scarpa SL active boot. it's very stiff and supportive. They're a lot of money but worth a look into

montyjohn 13 Sep 2023
In reply to shaigh:

> I'm slightly wary as I'd be using them year round so they'd be very warm for summer use, but if they support my ankle better it would be worth it to me if I can spend more time in the mountains.

I've worn Scarpa Mantas year round, but avoid it these days as they wear really quickly at the toe compared to more flexible boots.

I didn't find heat a problem.

Wimlands 13 Sep 2023
In reply to shaigh:

Have you considered an ankle brace? They do design some for arthritis.

https://www.ultraankle.com/product/ultra-cts/

OP shaigh 13 Sep 2023
In reply to Wimlands: I’d be interested if anyone has done any hiking in a brace, but the surgeon actually advised against them.

that specific one looks like it might work with regular shoes or even approach shoes, but I can’t see it working in a boot.

SilentDai 14 Sep 2023
In reply to shaigh:

Not personal experience, but I do have a patient who started wearing boots after an ankle op for the extra support. We eventually got her out of them and into a lightweight support (basically a sleeve, no plastic reinforcement). The supports aren’t too expensive (£20) so I’d suggest trying that before spending £200 on boots. Go for something simple rather than those with Velcro straps to limit blister chances

e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neo-Ankle-Support-Activities-Compression/dp/B0922V...

Dave the Rave 14 Sep 2023
In reply to shaigh:

Hi Shaigh

If you’re looking to limit forward/backward flex, then a more rigid sole will actually increase this motion, as there will be less flexion at the forefoot. A B0/1 with a higher ankle may be better.

artif 14 Sep 2023
In reply to shaigh:

Maybe look outside of the standard walking boot manufacturers.

I had/have ankle foot problems, following repeated sports injuries a bit of arthritis and last year tore the tendon in the bottom of my foot, leaving me barely able to walk.

I wear Haix safety boots at work which provided enough ankle support to keep me going, but I also purchased some non safety boots from them for every day wear. Nearly back to normal after nearly a year but still wear the boots

SilentDai 14 Sep 2023
In reply to shaigh:

I forgot to add to my earlier reply that the standard advice applies - go and visit a good shop and try everything on. 
I use approach shoes for everything that doesn’t require crampons but had to buy some boots for activities where they’re mandatory (rescue). I told the lady I do a lot of scrambly type stuff, via ferrata, climb industrial structures etc. and she was insistent on giving me very stiff boots. I hated the majority of them because of the super clunky walking style. And these were summer boots, as I said before I’ve got some well worn Scarpas for kicking ice in winter. So my best advice is to try everything on that you can. You might like the restriction that helps your ankles, you might find that something else hurts as it has to compensate. Finding the right balance for you will be very individual. 

Post edited at 11:01
 StuDoig 14 Sep 2023
In reply to shaigh:

you might be better speaking to someone like Altberg who make boots for police, military, Gillies etc as well as walkers.  they do some high ankle options like

https://www.altberg.co.uk/boots/aforme-boots13/the-barningham-boot

but what you need will be very individual and they will customise / adapt boots as well.

Cheers,

Stu

OP shaigh 14 Sep 2023
In reply to Dave the Rave:

That is a very good point! Thanks

morvich 14 Sep 2023
In reply to shaigh:

Hi I've been using a Richie brace 

https://richiebrace.com/

to limit my lateral movement of my ankle due to problems with my posterior tibial tendon  ironically the tendon issues were a result of an op to reduce a bone spur which was to help with  arthritis.

I can wear the brace in fabric boots  and mid ankle leather boots (Mendel Bhutans). It has help manage my tendon issues but was very  pricey esp if you need two.

prior to the op I found I could manage the arthritic pain with naproxen and paracetamol but this obviously was not a long term solution

I assume you're using walking poles as well?

Hope you find a solution 

OP shaigh 14 Sep 2023
In reply to morvich:

Yep, I use poles, and ibuprofen

CurlyStevo 14 Sep 2023
In reply to Thomas Hardbattle:

yeah go for stiff boot outer and fairly flex sole not the other way around. scarpa sl would be ideal.

Just a word of caution that I recently got the Ribelle Lights and when trying to break them (/me) in in the Peak, I found them noticeably less waterproof than my hiking boots. I did go out in foul rain and bog (as I often do!), but I got wet pretty soon. Hard to tell what was them wetting through around the toe (I thought so, when later wearing them in snow, but could be wrong) and what was the fact that they don't seem to close so flush around my ankles so the rain was actually running into my boots (I was in shorts, but this is never an issue in my hiking boots).

Do take a second opinion in case it's just mine, but I'd bear that in mind if using them more in the UK.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...