UKC

Winter climbing gloves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fmck 20 Sep 2023

Its an old topic I know but I'm needing some for myself and 14 year old son. Probably more mixed climbing rather than Ice. Just would like to hear some folks thoughts on what is available on the market these days. There seems so many now with contradicting reviews. 

I've been awol for a number of years. 

slawrence1001 20 Sep 2023
In reply to fmck:

Mountain equipment super couloir gloves (or hyper couloir if you get very cold) are great and in my experience don't massively limit dexterity.

I also have some montane supercell gloves which are a bit thinner but more dextrous and not too pricey either.

LG-Mark 20 Sep 2023
In reply to fmck:

I like a "system" of silk liners (Cheap at Decathlon) under some dexterous climbing gloves, such as ME Couloir / Simond Sprint that i'll use on the pitch and then swap out at belays for a big pair of mitts and stuff my climbing gloves deep inside my jackets to keep them warm.

The Simond Sprints (Decathlon) are warm enough for a pitch and pretty dexterous for me, cheap and hardwearing. I've used them for years now in the UK and in the Alps.

OP fmck 20 Sep 2023
In reply to slawrence1001:

Thanks. One to consider definitely. 

OP fmck 20 Sep 2023
In reply to LG-Mark:

This is quite a good idea as I'm not sure how my son will take to winter climbing. Good option thanks. 

Jeff Ingman 20 Sep 2023
In reply to fmck:

If it's a try out I'd recommend the Tegera range of gloves. They are PPE work gloves for cold climates, very durable, dextrous, warm, and don't break the bank. I've been using them for years. Enjoy your comeback

OP fmck 20 Sep 2023
In reply to Jeff Ingman:

Hi Jeff

What type would you recommend? This sounds quite worthwhile even as a back up pair.

Jeff Ingman 20 Sep 2023
In reply to fmck:

Yeah, great as back up too. For the last 6 yrs I've been using their 'waterproof glove' that you'll see on the internet. We all know that no glove is waterproof - you have to put your hand in there somehow! But they are highly water resistant and very warm. 

LucaC 20 Sep 2023
In reply to fmck:

Simond have a good range, I’ve had several pairs for work and they just about last a Scottish season (3 months).

The sizing is totally wild, your best bet is to get to a store and try them on, or order lots on your credit card then return most of them. 

Gav_92 20 Sep 2023
In reply to fmck:

I use a pair of wrist gators paired with mountain equipment guide gloves

Mountain equipment colour gloves are slightly warmer but way more expensive and I find the above combination to be just as warm and hurts less when it comes to replacing the gloves

TechnoJim 20 Sep 2023
In reply to fmck:

My stock answer is Rab Baltoro, as they sit in a sweet spot for me of fit, warmth, dexterity and price, although the price has bumped up quite a lot over the last couple of years. Go Outdoors usually have them on sale though. ME equivalent is the Randonee. 

Two pairs, rotate them when they get wet. Pair of Montane Supercell in the bag for when it gets really cold and wet. I also tried a pair of £7 things from Wickes last year that were surprisingly good. Rubberised work gloves with a fleece lining in a natty orange and black colour scheme. 

DaveHK 20 Sep 2023
In reply to fmck:

https://northseaworkwear.com/sho2822-showa-282-temres-safety-gauntlets-ther...

These are probably the best winter climbing gloves I've used. Waterproof, warm enough, oddly breathable, dextrous, quite durable and not extortionate. 

Post edited at 17:10
In reply to DaveHK:

Hi Dave,

How do these Showa things size, if I'm normally a L, order large?

Stuart 

In reply to fmck:

Hi,

Of recent, I've been impressed by Montane gloves, currently have Rock Guide and Cyclone, velcro wrists really dial in fit. Excellent dexterity for mixed, though always carry/wear big mitts over top of gloves at belays.

Heard you bumped into young Blair at Quadrocks?

Stuart 

DaveHK 20 Sep 2023
In reply to Stuart the postie:

From the crease at my wrist to the tip of my middle finger is 190mm and my palm is 90mm wide across the knuckles. 9/L fit me perfectly.

The only thing I'll say about those gloves is that some people might not find them warm enough but I've never had problem.

John Kelly 20 Sep 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

Showa temres 282

Love these gloves, not the warmest but they dont give up on you, they stay dry, you can always get hands in and out without a faff and dexterous, best gloves ive used.

There is a version with a long cuff, if you need that

Babika 20 Sep 2023
In reply to fmck:

Whatever you finally decide on put another pair of something - anything - in your sack. And particularly for your son.

The minute you start touching any sort of wet rock in a British winter it's only a matter of time before hands get cold and wet. 

I normally wear ME Guide gloves and carry spare pairs of random mitts/sealskin/something else in the bag. 

TechnoJim 20 Sep 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

Pair of those and a Brynje base layer and you're ready to go clubbing straight from the North Face carpark.

DaveHK 20 Sep 2023
In reply to TechnoJim:

> Pair of those and a Brynje base layer and you're ready to go clubbing straight from the North Face carpark.

Or for a shift on a trawler.

TechnoJim 20 Sep 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

Feels like there's scope for a particularly Scottish triathlon in here somewhere.

Post edited at 21:05
OP fmck 21 Sep 2023
In reply to Stuart the postie

> Heard you bumped into young Blair at Quadrocks?

> Stuart 

Yes. Its become pretty much the centre of my social life these days. Spent a lot of time cleaning since revisiting back in March. Still work in progress albeit the worst is over. Brushed down the main crag with a 3.5m pole brush. for about a month! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...