UKC

Jeans - Max comfort per £

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Durbs 17 Oct 2023

Both pairs of my jeans - Prana Axioms and Boulder Denim (yeah, I know...) - have worn through past what is considered decent in polite society so I need a replacement.

I loved the comfort of both, I work from home so stretchy & soft are high up on the must-have as they're worn 80% of my time.

Rugged enough to wear in the great outdoors and get dragged over some grit, smart enough I could wear them to a conference and not look out of place (Axioms ticked this but my size aren't on SportsPursuit and are £70+ elsewhere).

Ideally not skinny fit, but I thought that about Boulder Denim and grew to love their stretchy goodness.

Any suggestions?

Ridge 17 Oct 2023
In reply to Durbs:

Asda do stretchy jeans for around £12.99, if that helps?

Pina 17 Oct 2023
In reply to Durbs:

I'm a big fan of Wranglers (Texas fit - elasticated) and the decathlon jeans. Although the latter don't have the durability of classic denim, they are very comfortable provided you remember to size up as they come in small French sizes.

steveriley 17 Oct 2023
In reply to Durbs:

I really don't know why I clicked on this but M&S stretch denim provide a useful source of extra friction on those awkward top outs. I haven't found any real downside to the lack of bouldering gusset, brush pocket, logo etc that offsets the 20 odd quid price. Whereas I'm scared to wear my Prana pants on the grit, so wear them to work. Funny old world.

HomerTheFat 17 Oct 2023
In reply to Durbs:

Alpkit Jeanius

More-On 17 Oct 2023
In reply to Durbs:

Have a look at the Moon Hawk jeans. I've just got a pair to replace several very worn pairs of Axioms and first impressions are positive. Fit is good and true to size, and the fabric is stretchy and comfortable. Only downside is the pockets are smaller than Axioms. Not had them long enough to comment on longevity mind.

angry pirate 17 Oct 2023
In reply to HomerTheFat:

I like my jeanius but they haven't worn as well as my older axioms and they are similar money.

The cordura fabric has worn faster than the denim of the Pranas.

Also both front pockets have disintegrated as the cotton is very flimsy.

ChrisBrooke 17 Oct 2023
In reply to Durbs:

3rd Rock do a decent range of jeans suitable for pub and grit. 

https://www.3rdrockclothing.com/collections/trousers

Robert Durran 17 Oct 2023
In reply to Ridge:

> Asda do stretchy jeans for around £12.99, if that helps?

That's where I get my jeans. Very comfortable. Wouldn't be so posy as to wear them climbing though.

Andy Johnson 17 Oct 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

Alpkit Sequence jeans. Bit priced but pretty bombproof.

artif 17 Oct 2023
In reply to Durbs:

Gramicci, spendy but I like em

Post edited at 20:15
OP Durbs 18 Oct 2023
In reply to Durbs:

Thanks all - shall check out 3rd Rock and Moon in particular.

It's not so much being "posy" to climb in jeans, it's more laziness of having to change to go climbing - plus saves having multiple different trousers for different activities.

mattrm 18 Oct 2023
In reply to Durbs:

Do they have to be jeans?  I wear Rab Radius trousers all the time.  Look nice and smart, but admittedly my work is fairly casual.  Great for climbing and walking.  Dry very quickly.  Suitably stretchy.  They say 'slim' leg, but I don't find them slim.

https://rab.equipment/uk/radius-pants

Justaname 18 Oct 2023
In reply to Durbs:

If you're wearing these Jeans for pretty much everything, £70 for something that you like doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

OP Durbs 18 Oct 2023
In reply to mattrm:

Yeah - for meeting customers / conferences, it's a jeans + shirt kinda getup....

OP Durbs 18 Oct 2023
In reply to Justaname:

> If you're wearing these Jeans for pretty much everything, £70 for something that you like doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Yep-yep. £ per wear goes rapidly down, so don't mind spending on quality.

Always nervous about <£20 jeans in terms of longevity, and try and avoid fast-fashion for this reason.

Jenny C 18 Oct 2023
In reply to Durbs:

A lot of supermarket stuff is actually surprisingly good quality. Generally fit isn't as good as high quality brands and you won't get the diamond crotch, but as an everyday wear for working from home it takes some beating. 

Personally given the price I prefer to keep top end outdoor clothing for the environment it was designed for, so as to maximise its lifespan and not wear it out through daily use.

JohnO1978 20 Oct 2023
In reply to Durbs:

Olympvs jeans are very good, especially for those with bigger legs/backsides..I wear mine for pretty much everything, they look pretty smart too and good if you want to get away from actual "climbing brands". Not cheap but occasionally there are decent discounts when sales come about.

SXPembs 20 Oct 2023
In reply to Durbs:

I've tried a bunch of different dedicated climbing jeans but actually the most comfortable and durable jeans I've climbed in are stretchy ones from H&M. I bought them secondhand on the reasoning that it would be cheaper than continuing to hole and repair dedicated climbing jeans, but they're holding up well so far.

Graeme G 20 Oct 2023
In reply to Ridge:

> Asda do stretchy jeans for around £12.99, if that helps?

You know everything is wrong with the world when the only jeans you can buy are stretchy. Stretchy jeans are a f****** abomination. 

Andy Hardy 20 Oct 2023
In reply to Graeme G:

> You know everything is wrong with the world when the only jeans you can buy are stretchy. Stretchy jeans are a f****** abomination. 

I'm sure tweed breeches are still available, for the discerning country gentleman 

Graeme G 20 Oct 2023
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> I'm sure tweed breeches are still available, for the discerning country gentleman 

But what about the discerning cowboy? I can’t be wearing woolen breeches on the trail in Montana!!!

HammondR 20 Oct 2023
In reply to Graeme G: the discerning cowboy can purchase and wear Hiut denim jeans. Not inexpensive but beautifully made in Wales in custom sizes and guaranteed for life. i.e. repaired ‘till you are dead. My 5 year old pair are like new.

But I wouldn’t be daft enough to climb in them. And no elastic.

kevin stephens 21 Oct 2023
In reply to steveriley:

> I really don't know why I clicked on this but M&S stretch denim provide a useful source of extra friction on those awkward top outs. I haven't found any real downside to the lack of bouldering gusset, brush pocket, logo etc that offsets the 20 odd quid price. Whereas I'm scared to wear my Prana pants on the grit, so wear them to work. Funny old world.

I’m a big fan of M&S jeans, for one they do a leg length of 27inch to fit me perfectly; I can’t understand why Levis, Wrangler etc can’t be bothered. Still £40 to £50 a pair but excellent fit and quality, a little bit of stretchiness helps wear and comfort. I’ve always found Levis and Wrangler to prematurely wear through in the crotch

Jenny C 21 Oct 2023
In reply to kevin stephens:

I fell out with M&S because they don't do 31" leg length in the larger ladies sizes. Surely those who are taller are more likely to be in bigger sizes, as you can carry the weight without looking out of proportion?

kevin stephens 21 Oct 2023
In reply to Jenny C: The stores have limited stocks but I can find what I need ordering on M&S website

critter 22 Oct 2023
In reply to Durbs:

Off all my jeans, climbing and non- climbing, I wouldn't buy Black Diamond again. Wearing out very quickly!

Phil1919 22 Oct 2023
In reply to Ridge:

As someone who subscribes to 'Ethical Consumer', Asda are brilliant at supplying merchandise that scores 0/ 20 on their ratings : )  ie, cheap for a reason.

Post edited at 08:49
 Cheese Monkey 23 Oct 2023
In reply to Durbs:

Vinted/charity shops about £5

Car boot about £1-2

May score highly on your scale

sandrow 23 Oct 2023
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> I'm sure tweed breeches are still available, for the discerning country gentleman 

Ooh, the chafing...

Andy Hardy 23 Oct 2023
In reply to sandrow:

If that is a problem, I'm sure your tailor can run up some silk or chamois liners

StuPoo2 24 Oct 2023
In reply to Durbs:

Got a couple of pairs of these .. and rate them:  https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/brands/duer.html

Haven't tried their jeans.  Would buy again.

critter 24 Oct 2023
In reply to critter:

> Off all my jeans, climbing and non- climbing, I wouldn't buy Black Diamond again. Wearing out very quickly!

I would second that. Advertised as super tough climbing jeans, wear very rapidly.

OP Durbs 31 Oct 2023
In reply to Durbs:

Well - thanks for the multitude of feedback.

I went 3rdRock as like the look and ethics, haven't worn them much as child #2 puked on them (not a review I hasten to add - more down to Norovirus).

Thanks for all the input - have a pair of tweed breaches being made at a tailors which are coming next month, just in time for the cold snap...

TobyA 31 Oct 2023
In reply to Andy Johnson:

> Alpkit Sequence jeans. Bit priced but pretty bombproof.

That's what I've got: finally wearing through at the knee, but I must have had them for three or four years and use them for most of my summer crag climbing - which is most of my climbing these days! The other Alpkit ones were far too skinny and tight on my chunky thighs. 

The thigh pocket on the Sequence is the best for holding your phone - perfect for grabbing those epic butt shots of your leader gibbering above. :⁠-⁠)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...