UKC

Gloves….colours

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 echo34 28 Oct 2023

Is it too soon for a glove thread? 

Why are all winter climbing gloves boring colours? Pretty much all of them seem to be black or dark grey. I remember a few years ago ME made some nice red ones and Marmot and Camp used to make some snazzy colours, but they all seem to be black now. 

I assume the good colours just don’t sell well? I find the bright colours much easier to find in a bag, harder to misplace and obviously make you climb harder. Any recommendations for any brightly coloured gloves or is it any colour as long as it’s black? 

Jenny C 28 Oct 2023
In reply to echo34:

This really used to about me when scuba diving, black gloves giving hand signals against a black drysuit with minimal ambient light.

Bright colours are not only more viable, but also harder to loose when you drop them - my black mask has a bright orange strap cover for that reason.

In reply to echo34:

It's almost as though they want you to lose them.....

In reply to echo34:

RIP BD Punisher in the bright green 😭😭

It's been at least 5 years since they where available.

CantClimbTom 28 Oct 2023
In reply to Jenny C:

Ha haa, most products are aimed at other markets, like diving in Gozo or Florida or whatever with so much vis. (Last summer I was in Corfu, you could see so far!) Bright gloves is very sensible idea though, I don't think I've ever seen any?

But above the waterline, dark drab colours may be more sensible because they'll get discoloured. And in winter that's high contrast to snow.

Post edited at 18:21
 Jenny C 28 Oct 2023
In reply to CantClimbTom:

> Ha haa, most products are aimed at other markets, like diving in Gozo or Florida or whatever with so much vis. (Last summer I was in Corfu, you could see so far!) Bright gloves is very sensible idea though, I don't think I've ever seen any?

But you don't need gloves in warm waters! Infact its frowned on to use gloves on reefs, as the risk of being stung is a huge motivation to not grab onto the coral.

Actually 'dry gloves' are really good as they are almost always bright blue, but it's incredibly rare to find neoprene ones that aren't black. You can get bright hoods, but although they make you visable it's fingers I need to see when signing to my body underwater.

Rampart 29 Oct 2023
In reply to echo34:

Rab do some of their climbing gloves in no-black colours - the Fulcrum and Pivot, I think, for example.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...