UKC

REVIEW: Scarpa Veloce Lace - Intermediate Performance Meets Beginner Comfort

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 15 Dec 2023

On paper, perhaps the Veloce Lace shouldn't work, says Tim Hill; and yet it really does. This new wave super-soft beginner-to-intermediate indoor shoe has torn up the rule book.

Read more

phizz4 16 Dec 2023
In reply to UKC Gear:

Great review, as usual. How do they fit size wise compared to normal shoe sizing?

Spanish Jack 19 Dec 2023
In reply to phizz4:

I weat the velcro about 2 sizes down. 45 in street shoes. Got the veloce once in 43 and 42.5, the 42.5 performs really well, the other is just comfy

In reply to phizz4:

I'm a UK8 street shoe and had a size 40 (UK6.5) for review. This worked well for more of a performance but still comfortable fit. I think a 40.5 would have also worked if I wanted even more comfort. 

Inhambane 20 Dec 2023
In reply to UKC Gear

I have a suggestion, for future shoe reviews, could we get the reviewers measured foot length in mm plotted against a chart of EU and UK shoes sizes in mm, this along with their worn UK shoe size. 

people may have their street shoes floppy or tight for various reasons and a bit more data might help when trying to pick climbing shoe sizes from internet suppliers.  For example i think my feet have shrunk half a size but i continue to use the same size uk shoe, but it has meant my climbing shoes have had to shrink 

FrankPodmore 21 Dec 2023
In reply to phizz4:

I find them a really good fit because I have very wide feet! The Veloce has that wide toe box, which means I can get into my actual size (a UK 7 extra wide), which is quite rare for me.

In reply to Inhambane:

Or manufacturers could get their sizing right in the first place. A size 8 rock shoe should be a snug but comfortable fit for a size 8 foot.

Is there something Macho involved in shoe fitting? Sizing shoes n+1 sizes down to prove you are tougher/more dedicated/stupider than your peers. Are the manufacturers feeding into this?

Post edited at 12:55
 AlanLittle 21 Dec 2023
In reply to Ennerdaleblonde:

Climbing shoes are supposed to fit completely differently to most other shoes. If I bought a "size 45" climbing shoe and it had the same inner dimensions as the other size 45 shoes I normally buy, my feet would be sliding around all over the place inside it and it would be completely useless.

Or you could make the climbing shoe smaller - "snug but comfortable" as you put it - but still call it a "45" because it's intended for the same size feet. Or you could write a number on it that reflects the size it actually physically is - which appears to be what most climbing shoe manufacturers try to do.

In reply to AlanLittle:

I disagree on a couple of points.

Shoe sizing is supposed to be a standard measure, it is unregulated and so beers away greatly. Great bit of autocorrect there.

Shoe size is foot size, you put your foot in a device and it reveals a number. The numbered foot is placed into a numbered shoe which should fit.

Hats off to Ocun. Street size and rock shoe size perfectly matched. Scarpa, less so.

timparkin 29 Dec 2023

> Shoe sizing is supposed to be a standard measure, it is unregulated and so beers away greatly. Great bit of autocorrect there.

> Shoe size is foot size, you put your foot in a device and it reveals a number. The numbered foot is placed into a numbered shoe which should fit.

It depends on how bendy your toes are and possibly how recessed your achilles is. Someone who doesn't knuckle there toes will have a similar street to climbing shoes size. Someone who does will need to downsize their climbing shoes.

Worth noting that in down turned shoes there is a great amount of tension and elasticity through the sole.

If Ocun work for you just wear those and don't worry about what other brands do.

In reply to Euan McKendrick:

I doubt manufacturers are in any great hurry to standardise. Internet shopping will lead to.customers buying the wrong size, a percentage of these won't bother returning but will sell on instead and buy another pair of the correct size. An additional pair sold for no effort. Ker Ching.

Well seeing as the majority of climbing shoes are bought in walls or shops your theory makes no sense.

Please feel free to fly to Spain, Italy, Korea & America and tell them what they're doing wrong whilst they continue to sell hundreds of pairs of shoes.

Neil Morrison 30 Dec 2023
In reply to Ennerdaleblonde: mmm, shoe size 9, Ocun jetts 7.5(41.5) and no consistency in sizing as first pair were 8 and a great fit, bought a second pair of 8’s and they were like boats so had to change them for the aforementioned 7.5. It’s a mystery 🤷‍♂️

Inhambane 30 Dec 2023

You put your foot in a device and then round up to the next size 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...