UKC

Thin liner gloves for walking & running. Recommendations please!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TMM 08 Jan 2024

Looking for some advice on gloves based on user experience.

I suffer from Raynaud's so I get cold hands very easily and they quickly become waxy and fairly useless.

I have a variety of thin gloves that I use for running from Salomon, Mizuno & Asics. They seem ok but they fall apart at the seams pretty quickly.

Are there better options out there for walking and running? My preference would be a thin liner glove that can be used by itself or as a liner in mitten. Something that allows the use of a touch screen and a textured palm would be even better.

Are there quality, durable options that are worth the investment or should I just accept that they get trashed quickly and be happy to a get a season out of them and just chuck a tenner at each time?

olddirtydoggy 08 Jan 2024
In reply to TMM:

I use the Rab Power Stretch Contact Grip Glove. It works sort of OK with a smart phone and so far have found them fairly durable, 4 years still good.

Mitts are the warmest as the fingers make contact with each other and generate heat but not much good with a phone.

I am curious how you're trashing gloves as I tend to find my gloves don't really make contact with anything when I'm not climbing.

AlanLittle 08 Jan 2024
In reply to TMM:

I think the ones I have are these from Roeckl: https://www.roeckl.de/#Multi:B2C/article/20/20-610001/9000

Not the thinnest of liner gloves, but pretty light & dextrous. Touchscreen compatible, rubberised dots on the palms. I haven't used them heavily yet, but after a few days of more or less continuous trekking pole use and the odd bit of scrambling they still look like new.

OP TMM 08 Jan 2024
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

> I use the Rab Power Stretch Contact Grip Glove. It works sort of OK with a smart phone and so far have found them fairly durable, 4 years still good.

> Mitts are the warmest as the fingers make contact with each other and generate heat but not much good with a phone.

> I am curious how you're trashing gloves as I tend to find my gloves don't really make contact with anything when I'm not climbing.

Thanks for the recommendation.

In relation to the damage it seems to happen a couple of ways. I manage to find all the thorns adjacent to my runs and also find splinters or bits of wire when jumping stiles or crossing gates. I also damage then when pulling them off and my skin is damp. Snug fitting gloves and the damp mean they need some persuasion and that has meant damage to the seams.

Badpanda 08 Jan 2024
In reply to TMM:I’m a fellow Raynaud’s sufferer

Having tried and trashed so many liner gloves over the years, I concluded that decathlon are the best value. The posh brands don’t last any longer and don’t seem much better for touchscreens. 
Stock can be a bit hit and miss obvs. Try the website? 

And no, I have no idea why they get all get so trashed! Worse than tights🙄

AlanLittle 08 Jan 2024
In reply to Badpanda:

>  I concluded that decathlon are the best value

Indeed. I have a pair of their heavy leather ski gloves and they're pretty much perfect, at least as good as any fancy expensive ones I've ever used.

Yanchik 08 Jan 2024
In reply to TMM:

This might be of no use to you, but... maybe a different system approach ? 

I have some no-brand thin fingerless gloves made in unnatural fibre which I keep on all the time. Then Big Gloves (or Mitts, or unlined rainproof Mitts) on wrist loops. Two out of my three pairs are Hestra for winter climbing/skiing, but that's a lot of money for something you're not doing. Third pair are very light rainproof mitts, for running. 

For my running, I have Alpkit gloves with a touchscreen-compatible index finger. But I doubt I'll replace them when they wear out, they're ok but not great, they soak out and get cold and the fit is weird for me. If I'm going out to run in cold rain, I take the unlined rainproof mitts. Anyway; process is, run/ski/whatever, whip glove off and let it dangle, check position on 'phone, post to Insta, do my influencing/write my substack post, put glove back on, proceed. Maybe your hands wouldn't rewarm adequately. 

For me it's all about the wrist loops. The Hestra ones I started with are comfortable around the wrist and the right length, so the system works. 

Not telling you this is the answer because 1) it's not the same activity and 2) I don't have Raynauds but you were kinda looking for alternative ideas - good luck. 

Y

Doug 08 Jan 2024
In reply to TMM:

About a year ago I bought a cheap pair of thin gloves from Lidl, black with a few bits of yellow. Not sure what fabric but a little stretchy & seem to be fairly windproof. Wore them a lot last winter XC skiing & ski touring, plus some spring & autumn walking & they seemed very good for the money (circa €5). Now have a slight hole on the thumb where my ski stick handles must rub a little but have just bought a new pair, some pink bits rather than yellow and maybe a euro more  expensive.

Don't know if Lidl UK sell them but recomended.

Elizabeth_S 08 Jan 2024
In reply to TMM:

My dad has bad raynauds and having tried many combinations these are the best ones he's found as liner gloves, they are silver lined I think.

https://www.raynaudsdisease.com/silver-gloves.html?gad_source=1&gclid=C...

CantClimbTom 08 Jan 2024
In reply to TMM:

If it's not too cold a pair of these work well for me £3.69  https://www.screwfix.com/p/site-320-nitrile-foam-coated-gloves-red-black-la...

If it's getting nippy (but not winter climbing or anything) these are Warmer but getting  a bit pricey at £4.99 https://www.screwfix.com/p/site-340-thermal-winter-work-gloves-black-large/...

RobOggie 08 Jan 2024
In reply to TMM:

A bit of an odd angle however I run rather hot and so will only reach for the gloves when the temperatures get very low, wind gets very high or the pace drops as my hands and forearms are an area I tend to run exposed for temperature regulation.

My take on this is to use a pair of thin mountain bike gloves - generally with a mesh back (my current pair are Pearl Izumi Divide gloves - however these are discontinued). I find these give durability, ventilation, in a lot of cases smartphone compatibility and can often be found quite cheap. I am also well known for falling a lot so the leather palms and fingers of the mountain bike gloves actually give a bit better protection than a normal glove and are designed to survive meeting the ground!

Kryank 08 Jan 2024
In reply to TMM:

I’ll second what badpanda said I use decathalon for all my gloves after trying various Rab, Montane etc. ones. 

I use these as thin liners https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/mountain-trekking-tactile-stretch-gloves-mt50...

they are great with poles and touchscreens, relatively cheap I wear mine for running, hiking, cragging local walksetc, I wear them alone or as liners under decathalon waterproof mits, or their thicker thermal mits, they have had loads of wear and still going strong after a couple of years, a bargain for £12. 

hope that helps

BusyLizzie 08 Jan 2024
In reply to Elizabeth_S:

Wow - I need these! Out if stock but I have asked to be notified when they are available. Thank you!

In reply to Badpanda:

> Having tried and trashed so many liner gloves over the years, I concluded that decathlon are the best value. The posh brands don’t last any longer and don’t seem much better for touchscreens. 

I had a pair of Decathlon merino liner gloves, excellent for a Tenner.

Edit - now £11.99. They did wear out after a while, but only to be expected with such a thin material. Felt surprisingly warm though, even when wet.

Post edited at 17:39
In reply to Badpanda:

> I concluded that decathlon are the best value.

I go Decathlon, too. I have had synthetic and silk liners from them. I prefer the synthetic.

The first pair I bought were 'Quechua' branded. They are still going, but have a couple of small holes I keep meaning to sew up... I bought a second pair, in their running brand 'Kalenji', which seem to be identical.

Whilst neither pair has specific touch-screen features, they both seem to work okay with touch screens.

Looks like they are now under their hunting brand...

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/liner-gloves-olive-black/_/R-p-10205

I was also tempted by a pair they had on their website, intended for desert travel, with a very long cuff. As someone also with Raynaud's, that sounded attractive. But I never found a pair, and never got around to ordering any online.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/desert-trekking-anti-uv-gloves-desert-900-bro...

The fact that I had to search for 'decathlon liner gloves', 'decathlon desert gloves' & 'decathlon kalenji gloves' to find the different gloves, without their system suggesting I might be interested in them is pretty typical for Decathlon; it pays to look in all the different 'departments'...

Post edited at 19:27
 Jon Greengrass 09 Jan 2024
In reply to TMM:

Fellow Reynaud's sufferer here, since developing the condition in 2019 I have amassed a large glove, buff and hat collection.

Personally I find liner gloves on their own useless, I find even swinging my arms generates enough windchill to blow through them and turns my fingers into useless frozen sticks.

My favourite walking and running gloves are Decathlon, KIPRUN Evolutiv V2 running gloves, they have a fold away weatherproof mitten which is really handy for keeping my hands warm while warming up or if the weather takes a turn for the worse. Only downside is they have no grip on the fingers and palms and are positively dangerous to drive in. While cheap, lightweight and fine for road running, I don't think they'd survive the abuse you'd give them.

If its a colder I wear a pair of Decathlon Van Rysel road cycling gloves that are made of a softshell fabric that's weatherproof with silicon gripper dots on the fingers a palms. I wear them for driving and doing the weekly shop at the supermarket to preserve my hands from cold supermarket trolleys and when handling items from the chiller cabinets.

For a tougher wearing option,  MTB gloves are worth a look, I like the sort made entirely of synthetic suede which do a better job of keeping out thorns than woven materials,  silicone grippers on the palms and fingers for extra grip in the wet. Just watch out for the summer weight ones with perforations all over, the wind blows right through them.

In reply to Jon Greengrass:

> Fellow Reynaud's sufferer here, since developing the condition in 2019

Sorry to hear that, Jon. Mine is hereditary, but it's never been that much of a problem for me; my fingers and toes just go white and numb, and I get the odd chilblain on my toes...

Tom Guitarist 09 Jan 2024
In reply to TMM:

Another vote for Decathlon here. Between hiking, winter walking and snowboarding I used to trash a pair of liner gloves every year or so. Decathlon stuff seems the most robust by far.

ExiledScot 09 Jan 2024
In reply to Badpanda:

I've managed when it's not so cold with the £1pair on a market stall type. 

crayefish 09 Jan 2024
In reply to TMM:

I now use ME touch screen gloves exclusively.  Merino liners seem to disintegrate very quickly but those hold up and are pretty warm.  I use them alone for ski touring, and with ME moreno mitts.  Warm, breathable and hard wearing.  Best there is after trying them all!

Post edited at 21:59
In reply to TMM:

https://www.safetygloves.co.uk/uci-ts3-stretch-acrylic-thermal-gloves.html

I've got loads of pairs of these - £10 will get you five pairs. They're pretty tough and they're plenty warm enough on their own, if dry, down into very low temperatures. In winter I'll usually have 3 pairs of these with me - they weigh practically nothing and I can swap them when they get damp. They work fine with touchscreens.

I did have some of the slightly more expensive textured-palm versions but I ended up never wearing them.

In reply to pancakeandchips:

Interestingly, the long cuff, PVC dot palm gloves are cheaper...

LastBoyScout 10 Jan 2024
In reply to TMM:

I've had a pair of Nike running gloves for many, many years - pretty thin lycra things.

Only just noticed that a tiny bit of a seam has started to come undone, but should be easily fixed in 5 mins with a needle and thread.

fimm 10 Jan 2024
In reply to TMM:

I have a pair of these:

https://ba573fc78ded93330ab51b58.cube-net.pub/p/evolutiv-by-night-gloves-bl...

which are pretty similar to the "Kiprun" gloves linked to upthread. Mine are quite warm for running, but in colder (and especially windy) conditions, the over-mit is surprisingly good. Worth a look.

elsewhere 10 Jan 2024
In reply to TMM:

I like these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018L3R3QQ/

touch screen and a textured palm  - no

£3.25

They do have a bit of industrial specification text printed on them and an ugly label but they're light, warm and cheap. Just like me.

Post edited at 17:08
In reply to elsewhere:

pancakeandchips link has them cheaper, but maybe there are bulk purchase/postage issues.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...