UKC

Morocco (Anti-Atlas) - Accommodation with a partner when not married

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 annamolly1504 10 Jan 2024

Hi, looking for some advice when travelling to Anti-Atlas climbing please. Has anyone travelled with a partner and experienced any problems when wanting to stay in the same room but are unmarried and have different surnames? Have heard in non-touristy locations it could be an issue so would be good to understand other's experiences....Thanks!

Post edited at 15:05
 Heike 10 Jan 2024
In reply to annamolly1504:

I don't think that should be a problem. Have been twice with different surnames, nobody ever asked us. 

Pglossop 10 Jan 2024

I’ve been to Tafraoute and never had a problem there. The only time I ever had an issue was that campsite in Hathersage, but it’s a long way from the Anti-Atlas. 

e.ms355 10 Jan 2024

I don't believe it's generally an issue for Westeners, from talking with Moroccans. It's more an issue if unmarried Moroccans look to book accommodation together due to the religious side of things. That being said could be worth double checking of super remote or just making up a surname unless you need to show proof of id. 

Robert Durran 10 Jan 2024
In reply to e.ms355:

> I don't believe it's generally an issue for Westeners, from talking withb That being said could be worth double checking of super remote or just making up a surname unless you need to show proof of id. 

We had to show passports everywhere we stayed in Morocco.

ebdon 10 Jan 2024

Allthough me and my wife are married we don't wear rings and have different surnames and didn't have a problem in tafraoute. I must admit it didn't cross my mind (perhaps rather nievely) and we were never asked. The fact we have been together for 20 years and am horrifically middle aged probably helps.

RX-78 10 Jan 2024

Suggest you could lie if needed. My wife and I visited Morocco about 25 years ago while interrailing before we got married. We had no issues while staying in cheap accommodation. Buy a cheap/fake ring maybe?

Patrick Surguy 10 Jan 2024

my experience was that if you're a Westener, different rules seem to apply. We were served booze, had people sleeping in the same rooms that weren't married, no issues

badgerjockey 11 Jan 2024

Just got back from there and was in your situation. Didn’t have even a hint of a problem in all three places we stayed, including in someone’s house in the mountains, a rural gite and a hotel just outside tafroute.

If challenged, tell them you are on honeymoon and have not yet updated your passports.

You might have to attend a party in your honour though.

mutt 11 Jan 2024

the Anti Atlas is pretty chill compared to other parts of Morocco. If you go to Marrakech consider wearing modest clothing to avoid the unwanted attention and touching. There aren't any morality police but it doesn't make any sense drawing attention to yourselves when it can be avoided.

OP annamolly1504 11 Jan 2024

Thanks everyone, super helpful!

Pglossop 11 Jan 2024
In reply to Patrick Surguy:

We had similar experiences, although I wouldn’t claim to be a westerner- Tafraoute is about 6 degrees west of me!

Patrick Surguy 11 Jan 2024
In reply to Pglossop:

Good point - geopolitical west, not cartographic!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...