UKC

Old rocks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Siward 27 Jan 2024

Old rocks.

Well I know that the Lewissian gniess is plenty old. But I remember reading something ages ago about rocks on the summit of Skiddaw I think (maybe Blencathra) which were ancient too? Googling not very productive...

Mmm borowdale volcanic...

wbo2 27 Jan 2024
In reply to Siward: The Borrowdale volcanics are circa 450m years old, which is obviously pretty darn old... and I tihnk most stuff in the lakes is of a similar generation .  The Lewisian is rather older, and is a collection of rocks dating between 1.7 and 3 billion years ago accreted together.  As I recall the Lewisian are rather 'deep' rocks, exposed by a long, long time to erode the overburden. The Skiddaw group and Borrowdale volcanics are deformed near surface rocks.

OP Siward 27 Jan 2024
In reply to wbo2:

From lakedistrict.gov.uk:

The Skiddaw Group are the oldest rocks in the Lake District. They were formed as black muds and sands settling on the seabed about 500 million years ago. They have since been raised up and crumpled and squeezed.

still wee youngsters then.

McHeath 28 Jan 2024
In reply to Siward:

And I thought this was going to be about the set of Wild Country hardware from about 1980 which I still have and use as backups ...

Post edited at 01:06
 Bottom Clinger 28 Jan 2024
In reply to McHeath:

I thought it was going to be about how sooo Rock ‘n Roll pensioners are. 

Bulls Crack 02 Feb 2024
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

> I thought it was going to be about how sooo Rock ‘n Roll pensioners are. 

They'll be the same ones doing the 'terrible belaying' at climbing walls over on the Indoor wall belay devices thread?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...