UKC

Advice for bivvy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jacobb 29 Jan 2024

Hi all, thinking about getting a bivvy for some summer camping.

Narrowed it down to either the alpkit hunka or the oex bush pro. Both around the same price, however bush pro has 5000mm hydro head compared to the alpkits 10,000.

What do you all think? Any experiences with any of these or any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Marcus Tierney 29 Jan 2024
In reply to jacobb:

I got the Hunka but many years ago. I got the XL but it was still fitting tight (I’m 5’ 8”) so my the bivi minus sleeping bag in the Pyrenees’s was very cold because it was tight over my legs. However it’s well made and it was a good price at the time. I would recommend getting in one to check the size.

The Potato 29 Jan 2024
In reply to jacobb:

I looked at both recently and went for the slightly more expensive hunka due to the higher waterproofing and breathability. It's got a lot of good ratings. I've not had the opportunity to use it yet but have used ones similar to the oex and they do get clammy inside

Dave the Rave 29 Jan 2024
In reply to jacobb:

Evening

I bought the Hunka several years ago, but just used it  as a sleeping bag cover to keep it clean and dry from the dog.

It didn’t feel very robust with the thin material, and I wouldn’t want to spend a wet night in it.

My 27 year old Mountain Range hooped bivi in gore tex is still great and you feel really protected in it.

CantClimbTom 29 Jan 2024
In reply to jacobb:

• Why bivi not ?
  • Where?

The answers to those will help you get relevant feedback.

https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/lofoten-1-ulw-tent/

For example: cooking, changing clothes, rewarming yourself if you got dangerously cold, horse flies + midge protection. All at not much more than the weight or size of many bivi (but it's £600!)

So, why a bivi?? I have a rab alpine bivi not a tent,but wondering if you have it clear in your thoughts the "why..."

dread-i 29 Jan 2024
In reply to jacobb:

I have a Hunka XL. Its works well as a bag cover. If you bivi in summer you'll get eaten by midges, so need a face covering.

I also have the Alpkit hooped bivi. Its a bit bigger, and you could get through a rain storm in it, as it covers your head. You can use that without out the poles, and it has a midge net. As has been mentioned, if you need to do something, even change your socks, then a bivi is a faff. But if you just need to stop wherever, for a few hours kip, then a bivi bag is great.

olddirtydoggy 29 Jan 2024
In reply to jacobb:

Are you aware that these products are bags filled with misery? Do you want a bivvy rather than a 1 man tent to save money? Just curious.

Dr.S at work 29 Jan 2024
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

they can be misery, or joy - just need to pick the right kit for the trip/weather....

wjcdean 29 Jan 2024
In reply to jacobb:

To counter some of the negativity.... I love my bivvy bag. Sure, if it's a poor forecast I'll take a small tent. But for those good weather, summer nights its a delight, I much prefer it to a small tent (which is also a faff to change clothes in. Plus it's way lighter and packs smaller.

I have the hunka XL, which I think is very spacious, I can fit my rucksack and boots in there with me (im 6'1"). I've had it maybe 8 years, and have indeed managed to punch a few little holes through it here and there. Nothing compared to the big entrance hole at the top though, so it's a little academic as far as I'm concerned.

Kalna_kaza 29 Jan 2024
In reply to Dr.S at work:

I agree 100%. My bivvy (hunka regular - a bit small) only sees action on the finest of summer evenings spent up high where there is hopefully just enough of a breeze to keep the midges away. Watching the sunset with a warm and / or alcoholic drink in hand... perfect. The twilight giving way to the stars above and if you're lucky a shooting star or two.

Anything other than guaranteed serenity and I'm packing my tent which is only 500g more.

cacheson 30 Jan 2024
In reply to jacobb:

I have a hunka, which is very very good. I usually put the sleeping mat on the outside. With the sleeping mat inside it's a tight squeeze on the inside and tends to make the condensation worse. I've slept in it for maybe 20 nights total (including in the open in the pissing rain) and it has always been dry and comfortable. Condensation management after several days out was always a bigger issue than waterproofing.

I took a salewa bivy bag to the swiss alps and had to abandon a planned bivouac because the bag was just not nearly as weathertight as I was accustomed to with the hunka.

Post edited at 08:13
 Colin Foord 30 Jan 2024
In reply to jacobb:

I've used the alpkit hunka from Lake District dry nights to a welsh summit in winter to an alpine glacier. That's pretty much it but I have learned one thing. It's absolutely amazing for keeping the dew and the wind out on a warm dry night. If the weather is pants paired with a tarp it may work well, yet to test it. You can't fully close the head opening and I'm not sure what size I have but have never had an issue with tightness but then again I am a bit skinnier than most. The only time it's been wet on the inside is if I introduced wet through wet clothing (I know that is stupid) or it was wet and windy. I've woken up dry while having a pile of snow on top of me so no question about the waterproofing.

Hope that helps.

bouldery bits 30 Jan 2024
In reply to jacobb:

I love my bivvy bag!

I try not to use it when it's absolutely grim.

Mine is Army surplus and green. And it been mine for around 17 years. Sure, it's chunkier than a lighter, more modern version, but it works for al fresco snoozin'. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...