UKC

Dolomites via feratta

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 petehaz 01 Feb 2024

Hello all... planning on taking my eldest post-GCSEs for a 3-4 day hut-to-hut hike with plenty of via feratta in the Dolomites.

I did it years ago with my partner, so all my info is pretty out of date. Any suggested good books or itineraries would be appreciated. I guess we will fly into Venice, grab a car and head towards Trento... but like I say, I'm very rusty.

Last time we went up I think we set off from Madonna di Campiglio, and a previous time somewhere where we stayed in Rif Tuckett... but alas I don't have the maps or route plan anymore, that was back in 2005/2006...

We're not interested in a 'group tour' and rather want to go it alone. Thinking mid-July. Any advice is gratefully received. Thank you

chiroshi 02 Feb 2024
In reply to petehaz:

We went at the end of last summer for a VF / hiking trip. The Rockfax guide is a very good place to start. Has some multi day VF, easy beginner options which still give you a great feelings of being high up in the mountains and some really hard stuff. 

We used this book to plan some walks along with the Rockfax guide:

https://amzn.eu/d/7E46nFJ

Spready 02 Feb 2024
In reply to petehaz:

Fantastic place... Been a few times and last summer took my youngest daughter.. 
To give you some ideas.. here are the four routes we did in order, and I would recommend the https://www.tierseralpl.com/en.html Hut, which is in between the two last routes, and makes for a wonderful 2 days.

youtube.com/watch?v=oRAYOSjfZW0&

youtube.com/watch?v=If-4aynRKz0&

youtube.com/watch?v=Ie3J98Vo4i4&

youtube.com/watch?v=doWg8wRe9ew&

It will be highly likely that if out for 4 days.. one of them will be wet (maybe very wet!!)
Just bear that in mind when thinking of routes, and have some flexibility on valley days due to weather.  

Toerag 02 Feb 2024
In reply to petehaz:

Good job my memory's better than yours, and I've refreshed it recently .  You will have been up into the Brenta, and the good news is it hasn't really changed since I first went in the early 2000's (if not before).  The Brenta offers a 'linear' experience with routes running along one side or the other, or along the top. This means you need to start at one end or the other and work along one set of paths and return on another. Doing a path twice in opposite directions is no hardship as all the views are different the second time. You could hike up to Rif. Tuckett from the valley, but that's a 2.5hour slog uphill from Rif. Valsinella.

First, google '3/4/5 day tour Brenta', there's a number of suggestions / trip reports.  The problem you might have is getting back to your start place without having excessively short and/or excessively long days.  The following would make for decent full days:-

a)  Take the Groste cablecar all the way up to the top station first thing in the morning. South-west along the path (316?) to Rif Tuckett in time for morning teabreak. Up the VF Dallagiacoma that breaks NW on the way up to the Bocca, back down to the bocca or the hut for lunch, then Sentiero SOSAT to Alimonta Hut in the afternoon.  If you think that's too long or you start later you can skip Dallagiacoma. Or you could do Sent Bernini from Groste to the Bocca and down to the Tuckett hut in the morning (maybe with Dallagiacoma depending on time).

b) from Rif Alimonta, going up the Sfulmini glacier, down VF Felice Spellini, along Sentier Orsi and Sentier Bernini to Groste is a full day. 6 point crampons useful for the glacier as it'll have possibly frozen overnight.

Bochette Alte is a full day I believe.  There is a couloir that will probably still have snow in in July. If you approach from Alimonta hut it's easy to miss the turn-off to the start . No routefinding problems if going south from Bocca del Tuckett.

I've not done Bochette Centrale so can't comment Theoretically you could run Bochette Centrale and Bochette Alte together in one day.

It can be tricky to work out what VFs go where and not every resource shows every one, Bergsteigen.com has excellent topos and maps. Komoot shows the VFs well too (hover over the hiker icons to find the names).

OP petehaz 05 Feb 2024
In reply to chiroshi:

Ah, perfect, thank you, will get that ordered 

OP petehaz 05 Feb 2024
In reply to Spready:

Cool, thanks for the links... I didn't think about rain, last times we went we were blessed with sun sun sun... except the massive electrical storm that passed through!

OP petehaz 05 Feb 2024
In reply to Toerag:

Amazing, thank you... and your post brought back memories, I recognise a lot of those names so will have to dig out a map and try to figure out my old route (even if we don't do similar).

Really helpful, thank you

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...