UKC

Will cragging in NW Highlands at Easter be grim?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ebdon 12 Mar 2024

Easter is fast approaching and I have a week off, but as Easter is so early this year I'm not sure what to do.  My default is trad cragging in the NW but will it be too cold? 

Scotland based locals - would you be dusting the rack off for action, or is it still the realm of bouldering and winter stuff?

I appreciate I could just go somewhere warm but I have spent all my money on a crumbling victorian house and anyway everywhere else is rubbish compared to NW Scotland.

Mike-W-99 12 Mar 2024
In reply to ebdon:

It’s still two weeks away and on one of my potential things to do(caveat, I only live an hour from torridon so will be flexible)

Winter has all but gone in the area, this was Sunday. 

DaveHK 12 Mar 2024
In reply to ebdon:

There were loads of folk at Diabaig on Saturday. The correct answer as I'm sure you know is 'it depends'. I'd say plan to go but have a plan B.

Post edited at 16:26
OP ebdon 12 Mar 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

I always have a plan B for climbing in Scotland! (Allthough to be fair this is usually just easier climbing). 

I've been up the last few years at Easter, but it's been a few weeks later. Mind you last years plan b involed paddlebording down a section of the Dee when it was in spate. I'm not sure my wife has forgiven me yet.

OP ebdon 12 Mar 2024
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Cheers, I will leave the skis at home then!

TobyA 12 Mar 2024
In reply to ebdon:

Why not take the skis (Nevis Range might be good on the way up) and ice tools and trad gear and a bouldering mat? Chuck in a mountain bike too to be safe!

Presumably you can climb at some where like Reiff any time it's not raining.

OP ebdon 12 Mar 2024
In reply to TobyA:

I did actually have hopes for some touring, I suspect this year is the year though. I was out in the cairngorms two weeks ago and there wasn't much snow about. 

IMHO Reiff is not a great early season venue as a lot of the good stuff is N facing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...