UKC

Cheap belay glasses?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 harvmarv 28 Mar 2024

I can't believe how expensive belay glasses are!

Surely the raw materials are cheap?

Can anyone recommend some good ones on the lower price end?

Rob Kelly 28 Mar 2024
In reply to harvmarv:

I have always used these. Seem as good as the more expensive offerings.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/belayer-glasses-belayer-navy-blue/_/R-p-19649...

turtlespit 28 Mar 2024
In reply to harvmarv:

Probably more expensive since they're a niche item, so not enough are manufactured to get the price per unit down.

I've had a pair of CU Belay Glasses for about 12 years, which are probably the expensive ones you're referring to.  They're good value if considered over a long time span - I'd also justify them as being cheaper than physio required for neck issues.

I've heard reports from some people that belay glasses make them dizzy.  Not sure if this is with the cheaper or more expensive options, so whichever ones you buy it's probably worth trying them in store. 

jezb1 28 Mar 2024
In reply to harvmarv:

The decathlon ones are fine. Mine have lasted a few years, the same ones I had before lasted well until I lost them.

duchessofmalfi 28 Mar 2024
In reply to harvmarv:

look for "le pirate" - used to be the cheapest

before you buy consider whether or not you need to wear over glasses...

Mark Kemball 28 Mar 2024
In reply to harvmarv:

You think they're expensive, I bought a pair when they first came on the market about 10 years ago for £80. I still use them, one of the best £80 that I've spent.

nufkin 28 Mar 2024
In reply to harvmarv:

Probably best you steer clear of opticians to avoid seeing the price of normal glasses. 

Alternatively, think about what it would cost you to make them yourself, in materials and time, and whether the result would be better than what CU offer (or Decathlon, or YY, or whoever)

Neil Morrison 28 Mar 2024
In reply to harvmarv: I’d second the comment re Le Pirate ones, been using them for years. Do the job.

I've got the decathlon ones for about 15quid. Not used any others so can't say if they are better/worse value for money than alternatives. They seem to do the job for the occasional indoor visit where I use them

I've got the decathlon ones for about 15quid. Not used any others so can't say if they are better/worse value for money than alternatives. They seem to do the job for the occasional indoor visit where I use them

Fraser 28 Mar 2024
In reply to harvmarv:

I've had a pair of the CU glasses since they came out and don't grudge paying a premium for them. I also bought a pair of the YY ones, but they were rubbish by comparison and sent them back. Have also used the Decathlon model and again, they're simply not as good or as well engineered as the CUs. You need to decide how important a decent pair is for you. For some folk, a cheap pair will be fine, for others they'll need (or want) the best available, which IMO is undoubtedly the CUs.

Iamgregp 28 Mar 2024
In reply to harvmarv:

You get what you pay for with these things… I’ve had a YY pair and they were far better than the Decathlon ones I have now. Bit for less than half the price the decathlon ones are fine.

Carless 28 Mar 2024
In reply to harvmarv:

I’ve used virtually all of them. CU are best but most expensive.  Decathlon are fine value for money.

As already said, consider if you need to wear them over glasses

OP harvmarv 29 Mar 2024
In reply to harvmarv:

Thanks for the replies all - I didn't realise decathlon sold their own pair!

In my experience, Decathlon make OK quality goods for a great price. Since this is my also my first outdoors trip (and I've already spent enough on safety gear, no compromises there) I'll go for Decathlons.

Cheers

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...