UKC

shoes for via ferrata

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 legend27 06 Apr 2024

trying to decide on a shoe for a backpacking trip where i’ll also be doing via ferrata. Planning on Alta via 1 in the summer over 7 days of hiking but will be going off the trail for a couple days to do some fairly serious via ferrata but am unsure of what shoes to wear. I usually get painful feet after a few days of hiking so have been thinking about getting some good trail shoes as i’ve heard they’re better (have been looking at the la sportiva ultra-raptor 2). However, i have my reservations about this due to the via ferrata part of the trip so im wondering if a pair of approach shoes such as the la sportiva tx4 or  tx5 ( the low/shoe versions) would be better for me. But i’ve also heard approach shoes can be painful after a few days of hiking which i want to avoid at all costs. Can anyone give me any advice or recommendations of which shoes to get?

cheers

JLS 06 Apr 2024
In reply to legend27:

The raptors look a bit too soft to me. I’d have thought you’d be feeling every pebble under them after a few days. The TX5 look more fit for purpose. Just make sure they are well broken in before the trip.

Brass Nipples 06 Apr 2024
In reply to legend27:

You may encounter snow on AV1, and there’s an easy via Ferrata on the route whether you stick solely to the route or not. I wore my La Sportiva Trangos when we did the route.

OP legend27 06 Apr 2024
In reply to JLS:

that’s the way i’m thinking i’ll go, appreciate the thoughts thank you

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...