UKC

Front opening rucksacks

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Mowglee 23 Apr 2024

I'm hunting for a new pack, around 40 litres, with a zip down the front to be able to get at everything easily. I've come across Mystery Ranch which has a fairly decent range, albeit a bit military focussed, but only one in the sort of size I'm after. It's for day hiking so needs to be fairly comfortable, and ideally with plenty of internal pckets for orgnaising stuff*. I'm sure I've seen loads out and about but not having much luck searching. Any tips?

*baby equipment, mostly.

joeramsay 23 Apr 2024
In reply to Mowglee:

could deuter guide be what you're after? it has a good front-opening thing, comfort obvs will depend on your shape but my partner has one and finds it very comfy. not sure on the internal pockets front, it might have a small one and a map pocket, but the front zips open enough that if you had stuff in bags in there it would be very easy to sort through

In reply to Mowglee:

I have a blue ice one with a massive zip all the way down and a couple of side and internal pockets. It's well put together. I'm happy with it.

FactorXXX 23 Apr 2024
In reply to Mowglee:

If the primary purpose is the easy access to baby maintenance stuff, then a camera rucksack might be OK. 

CantClimbTom 23 Apr 2024
In reply to Mowglee:

For baby stuff you might find some of the larger laptop rucksacks do the job, quite a few allow you to fully unzip the back open, rather than having to reach) rummage down inside from the top for stuff. 

probablylost 23 Apr 2024
In reply to Mowglee:

No internal pockets and opens through the back rather than front but I've found the Rab Rogue really good in terms of being able to get something from anywhere in the bag

https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/rucksacks/lowe_alpine_rogue_48-12783

OP Mowglee 23 Apr 2024
In reply to Mowglee:

Cheers all. It's for longer hikes, so probably carrying a couple of waterproofs, lunch for three etc as well as all the baby related clobber, so 40 litre minimum really.

Simon Harlow 23 Apr 2024
In reply to Mowglee:

With our two kids we got a everyday baby changing bag (the ones that can clip onto the handles of a pram and have a change mat in them) which we used for 90% of our day to day trips out.  For walking with a baby managed to strip down the change stuff to a small zip lock bag and that we stored in the bladder pocket in my hiking ruck sack (an old berghaus 45 litre bag - not sure on the model).  The rest of the stuff was generally things that we would all need so we put the babies stuff in with that.  Anything that we needed quick access to went into the lid pocket.

When ours grew out of a front baby carrier we got a little life rucksack carrier that had a large pocket which we just put their stuff directly into that.  If you want to be organised I found water proof stuff sacks (or zip lock plastic bags) are ideal for this set up.

PaulJepson 23 Apr 2024
In reply to Mowglee:

Does it have to be a zip down the middle or can it just be front-opening?

I have a couple of front-opening packs around that size which I use for climbing:

https://www.mountainhardwear.com/p/crag-wagon-45l-backpack-1997641.html

https://varuste.net/fr/p16985/millet-peuterey-40

I'm in SW Sheff also and you're welcome to have a look at them. The MH one is more like a front-opening haul bag but is pretty comfortable to hike in.

steveshaking 23 Apr 2024
In reply to Mowglee:

I use a smaller version of this one from ortovox for winter climbing. Certainly comfortable and reliable so far. https://www.ortovox.com/uk-en/shop/backpacks/p660671-high-alpine-peak-light...

Graeme Hammond 23 Apr 2024
In reply to joeramsay:

> could deuter guide

that could be a great choice.

Some of the crag packs that open out like a suitcase with a large internal pocket could be an option too such as the RabOutcast 44 https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/rucksacks/medium/rab_outcast_44-12780 or a DMM flight bag. worth noting however that the back systems are not usually as good as a dedicated hiking rucksack.

Bellie 23 Apr 2024
In reply to Mowglee:

They don't seems as popular as they were a few years ago.  Now the thing seems to be full mesh panels at the front.

I have a Decathlon Forclaz ultralight 37 from a few years back which I've found really good, so if you are happy with the brand they do a Simond 40L+ with full access (rear not front) but larger pocket at front too as a bonus.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/mountaineering-backpack-40-litres-alpinism-40...

Or a 50L pack which may be too large for you but has the centre zip.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-trekking-backpack-50-l-mt100-easyfit/_/...

My only issue with a front centre zip is that if a pack is packed full its a case of having to squeeze it together sometimes, so thats where either a larger pack - with more room, or a full access zip is better.

Post edited at 14:46
 ebdon 23 Apr 2024
In reply to Mowglee:

Ski touring bags generally have zips down the front, might be worth looking at (I've got an older style blue ice warthog with this feature but I think the more recent models don't)

EdS 23 Apr 2024
 StockportAl 23 Apr 2024
In reply to Mowglee:

I've got two with zip access to the main bag, Deuter Guide 35+ and a Grivel Zen 35. Looks like the latter is not produced any more but is still available. The whole back panel zips open so makes getting to the entire contents out easy, getting it all back in neatly is another matter though but it's been handy on the occasions I use it. Internal pockets aren't great in either, there's one sleeve pocket in the Deuter, with two in the lid, from memory the Grivel bag has a couple of small internal pockets, again sleeves. Neither has external side pockets or nets for gear. I find the Deuter more comfortable and use it for work whereas I store my climbing gear in my Grivel bag.

In reply to joeramsay:

I've got the Deuter Guide 40-plus-something (women's). It has a small wallet-like zip pocket inside, a pocket on one hip belt that will fit my sunglasses or jelly beans (other side has a gear loop), one of those large pocket/section s like you would put a laptop into, and a pocket in the lid (but not in the inside of the lid). So not lots of pockets compared to say my Osprey Tempest, but I manage. I don't tend to end up using the front opening zip because I put everything inside a drybag liner - nb the material itself seems to soak up rain like noone's business, so you may end up doing the same (all other packs I have aren't waterproof, but either have covers or don't actively soak it up; I have to actively dry it out after a downpour). I find it pretty comfy, to the extent where I've considered buying more Deuter in future. Biggest drawback is that it does annoyingly hit the pack of my head with a helmet and harness on climbing, even the women's one (don't listen to old reviews that say you can remove the frame - you can't now), and the lid doesn't float, but I'm 5'3" so if you're lanky that might not be an issue. Bought for alpine stuff but ended up using it hiking and even weekends away now - it's pretty capacious.

Post edited at 00:24
 climber34neil 24 Apr 2024
In reply to Mowglee:

Another option, salewa apex wall 38, expands to nearer 50 litres so plenty of room

https://www.snowleader.co.uk/en/apex-wall-38-ombre-blue-SALE00530.html

OP Mowglee 24 Apr 2024
In reply to JimbotheScot:

Thanks - this one looks like a decent option!

SilentDai 24 Apr 2024
In reply to EdS:

There’s an online shop which keeps serving me with adverts for the “rescue” version of that bag. They must have a load of stock to shift. I’ve no idea what the difference is.  

EdS 24 Apr 2024
In reply to SilentDai:

Mostly size and a leg loop on the hip belt to create a sort of harness

Fraser 24 Apr 2024
In reply to Mowglee:

> Thanks - this one looks like a decent option!

I have an older version of this one and it's been my go-to sack for the last few months. The only slight downside of mine, which looks to have been rectified in the current model, is its very long, single lid-closure strap. So unless the sack is full, you can't cinch the strap up tight. But I do like the big, central zipper which allows quick and easy access to everything.

Kevster 24 Apr 2024
In reply to Mowglee:

Try to get one that your Mrs (assumption) can also use. 
My Mrs likes lots of pockets for all the bits n bobs - its like a memory game. I like one large pocket with easy access.

We never take my sack out when we go out. 

Theres a lesson in there somewhere......

Good luck!

Ian Patterson 24 Apr 2024
In reply to JimbotheScot:

Another decathlon choice if you prioritise easy access via zip is their climbers sack:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/climbing-bag-vertika-35-litres-black/_/R-p-14...

I've had one for a few years , super robust and easy to use, seems very big for it's measured 35 litres.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...