UKC

Book reccomendations for a beginner?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 saturn 28 Apr 2024

Can anyone reccomend a good book for a beginner that will cover all the basics of rock climbing? I've checked Amazon but many of them seem to be for advanced climbers or arctic type stuff.

robert-hutton 28 Apr 2024
In reply to saturn:

For persons of a certain age:

mountaineering by Alan blackshaw

Alex Riley 28 Apr 2024
In reply to saturn:

"Rock Climbing, essential skills and techniques" by Libby Peters is a good place to start.

OP saturn 28 Apr 2024
In reply to Alex Riley:

I see there's a 2004 version of this book and a 2022.... same title + author... am I to assume it's just an updated and revised edition?

Offwidth 28 Apr 2024
In reply to saturn:

Yes the newest is best but there may be good internet deals on old editions if finances are tight.

In reply to saturn:

I still think John Long's instructive books are as good as any,

Andypeak 29 Apr 2024
In reply to saturn:

You can often pick up second hand books in charity shops for a few pence. I think I've got a copy of the climbers handbook by Steve long somewhere that you could have for £5 to cover postage. 

Also worth noting that the Alan Blackshaw comment is not serious, don't buy it unless you are particularly interested in historical climbing methods. As an example of how outdated it is it contains the line "remember when selecting a climbing partner that a school boy or a woman could never hold a fall"

In reply to saturn:

Yes, they call the Libby Peters 2022 the 3rd edition, so it must have been revised.  Obviously the best bet as a starting point.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...