UKC

Alpine harness and leg loops

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

Hi,

I need a new light weight alpine mountaineering harness. I have an oldish BD Couloir but the gear loops are hopeless.

Quick question do I need a harness with adjustable leg loops?

When in the Alps I'm always with a Guide and can't think of a time where I've had to put on my harness when I have my crampons on already (fixed width leg loops would make this a challenge). I've always put it on before needing crampons. 

Am I missing anything?

Cheers J.

slawrence1001 02 May 2024
In reply to Juliankitesurfer:

I've never personally been in the situation of needing adjustable leg loops HOWEVER I would be very glad to have them if I was in desperate need of a shite halfway up a route.

In reply to slawrence1001:

I'd not thought of that 😂, this is what forums are for!

Edelrid Ace is a good lightweight, comfy harness for alpinism.

Its got enough gear loops for a fullish rack.

It's what I use on AD ridges like the Eiger or Matterhorn.

Tom

ebdon 02 May 2024

If your looking for something more robust with quick release leg loops I love my BD alpine bod. Not the lightest and lacking more modern bells and whistles but very functional for actual climbing.

In reply to ebdon:

But it is also very heavy for what it is. Plus it has a thread back buckle, which I'd rather avoid. 

ebdon 02 May 2024
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Confession time, I have got my harnesses mixed up and I was actually thinking of the DMM super couloir! (Which i have never had an issue with the gear loops + i use clippers on it) do they even make these any more?

It's still got a thread back bucket which I like for getting on over crampons. I admit never use it outside winter.

crayefish 02 May 2024
In reply to ebdon:

I use the DMM one too.  Cut the belay loop off (replace with 2x opposing oval screw gates) and you can not only put on easily with crampons (don't even need to step into loops) but also take a "number 2" while still roped up, should the emergency ever arise.

John Kelly 03 May 2024

Fixed legs, does everything weights approx 160g iirc, packs well.

https://uk.blueice.com/products/addax-harness

my mate went for 

https://uk.blueice.com/products/choucas-pro-harness

You can open the leg loops 

Gwinn512 03 May 2024

Half of Chamonix has the Blue Ice Choucas pro. Incredibly small and lightweight, 4 full size gear loops, plus 4 ice clipper slots.

slawrence1001 03 May 2024
In reply to Gwinn512:

+1 for the Choucas pro

LastBoyScout 03 May 2024
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

> Plus it has a thread back buckle, which I'd rather avoid. 

Why?

im off 03 May 2024
In reply to slawrence1001:

Oh it's you is it! 😂 

In reply to LastBoyScout:

They work perfectly fine, however you can forget to do them up properly, which is a feature I'd rather avoid. 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...