UKC

peru/bolivia august 2004

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Owl 25 Mar 2004
Is there anyone planning to be out there this summer?

I am going to be in Peru from the beginning of July - I am working until 8th August and then have 6 weeks to climb/trek/travel.

I will bring all my gear with the hopes of hooking up with people in Huaraz to climb but if there is anybody going out from here perhaps we could meet up?

If I have no takers I will stay in Peru but I am happy to travel to Bolivia if anybody is going out that way.

I have done lots of Scottish winter stuff and a crevasse rescue course and some climbing in the southern alps of new zealand and high altitude trekking in peru but no big mountains yet.
 HP 28 Mar 2004
In reply to Owl:
I'll be studying in Peru most of June/July/August and was looking for someone to hook up with for a bit of climbing. Climbing July26-Aug 18th?
 HP 28 Mar 2004
In reply to HP: In terms of experience I've climbed a dozen or so scottish routes up to grade V, have pottered about in the alps doing a few PDs a couple of years ago and also spent some time in Bolivia last summer. Didn't climb much - it wasn't a climbing expedition, but did get up to about 5500m.
Owl 01 Apr 2004
In reply to HP:
I'm only free from 8th August and will be there later too but I've emailed you.

Anyone else?

HP 03 Apr 2004
In reply to Owl: You'd have thought there would be - you hear quite a lot of questions about it on here.
Si 04 Apr 2004
In reply to Owl:

Hi there I'm planning to be out climbing in the Cordillera Blanca (Based from Huaraz) from about the 12th July until the end of August.

I haven't got any climbing partners sorted yet either.

As far as experience goes i've been to the Alps for the past 5 years, (Climbing in and around Chamonix and Zermatt, routed up to TD). but haven't been to any of the larger ranges before.

Just been looking at the guidebooks and getting very excited.
Owl 04 Apr 2004
In reply to Si:
> Hi there I'm planning to be out climbing in the Cordillera Blanca (Based from Huaraz) from about the 12th July until the end of August.

I'll be free from the 8th/9th August so may be for the last part of your trip?
Anyway, I've emailed you.
Owl 07 Apr 2004
In reply to Owl:
bump
 HP 15 Apr 2004
In reply to Owl: Are you guys interested in climbing together? If you are, maybe we should meet up - possibly go climbing. What do you think? Any other takers? Could this be the rocktalk Andean picnic in the making?
Clauso 15 Apr 2004
In reply to Owl:

Just out of interest, what sort of owl are you?
Owl 16 Apr 2004
In reply to HP:
> (In reply to Owl) Are you guys interested in climbing together?
Sure, if everyone else would like to...
Can I email everyone, so you all have each others contacts? Post here or email me if you dont want me to do that.
Owl
patrick bateman 17 Apr 2004
In reply to Owl:

hi i'm hoping to be in peru/bolivia for the whole summer....
see my post
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=82000
anyone left who still needs a partner?
Owl 18 Apr 2004
In reply to patrick bateman:

> anyone left who still needs a partner?

So far I have exchanged a couple of emails with people and not decided anything re plans.
I am very keen but not very experienced either so...
I've emailed you. If you reply I'll send an email to you along with the others so we can all get together.

Owl
Steve James 19 Apr 2004
In reply to Owl:

How's it going with getting a team together for some stuff out in Peru?

Will be in Ecuador from 4th July. And heading to Lima for the 26th July. Then ...will wait and see.
Owl 19 Apr 2004
In reply to Steve James:

> How's it going with getting a team together for some stuff out in Peru?

Thanks for emailing me.
I've emailed you all, so hopefully we can arrange to meet up out there, possibly before?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you all.

Owl

Anonymous 21 Apr 2004
In reply to Owl:
I'm interested to go to Peru as well but don't have a partner. Been there last year, from end of July to middle of August. As I speak spanish fluently I did arrange all the stuff necessary(cooker/mules, etc). Did Ishinca (5530m) and would like to do something similar. Done winter climb in stocland but only grade I/II.
Do you have a group arranged already? Space for another one?
I do have my own gear.
Woodywebster 21 Apr 2004
I and a mate are heading to bolivia on the 8th august to hit the Quizma Cruz range, south of La Paz for three weeks and looking for any other punters. Keen?
Nick Harvey 21 Apr 2004
In reply to Woodywebster:
I am in Ecuador for three weeks and am currently due to fly back on the 8/9th August, but was toying with the idea of staying out there for a while. Sure i could get a flight to Bolivia. Though work wont like it!

My experience:
Ecuador is my first expedition and we are doing Cayambe, Cotopaxi and hopefully Chimborazo as well. I have done a Scottish course and am happy on about grade III ground, though not sure about leading. Done a bit of rock climbing and am on a course in a couple of weeks. I hold a summer ML.

I am not sure what you are thinking of but i want to build up experience and am interested in learning more technical skills. If you think what you guys are doing would be within my capabilities (dont want to slow anyone down!) then i would be interested.
Could you also put a rough figure on cost (excluding flights) as i have no idea (my Ecuador exped is with Jagged Globe).

If anyone is interested feel free to drop me a mail
Owl 21 Apr 2004
In reply to Nick Harvey:

It looks like there are quite a few people interested in meeting up in Peru and as I will be there anyway I may stay there rather than head up to Bolivia.

If you want to come down from Ecuador to Peru then you are welcome to meet up with us.

You can do everything for about £400 a month when you're out there and I think that's living quite luxuriously! Including hiring gear etc though thats harder to do.

There are one or two good places in La Paz (if you're in Bolivia) who can sort you out with good stuff but I didn't like the look of anything I saw the last time I was in Huaraz.

In reply to Woodywebster:
As I just said - probably staying in Peru this time, perhaps some of the others are going South?

Owl
Woodywebster 22 Apr 2004
In reply to Nick Harvey: Nick drop me an email, and i will send you the itinary, wont be doing anything too outrageous.
W
davel 23 Apr 2004
Does anyone know where ROCKclimbing guide books for Peru can be found? I am currently getting sketchy answers from the SAE...
Any help would be appreciated

Dave
Woodywebster 29 Apr 2004
In reply to davel: i would like to know too, i have searched, but no luck
Owl 29 Apr 2004
In reply to Woodywebster and davel:
I've emailed a mate who lived in peru and is a climber so i am waiting for reports - i'll post if i find anything
Woodywebster 29 Apr 2004
In reply to Owl: thanks very much

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...