UKC

Expedition/trip medical kit - diamox

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Zak 08 Jun 2004
I'm off to Pakistan for 4 week trek in a couple of months. Anyone got info or list of suggested medical kit. I mean anti-biotics and emergency pain killers etc,, not plasters and bandages. My local health practice seem unsure, when I went for my first round of jabs. They seemed unsure about diamox and suggested that I shouldn't need to take it if acclimatised correctly! I've been on BMC website and 'e-med', really looking for someone with first hand experince. Thanks Zak
Craig yardley 08 Jun 2004
In reply to Zak: Zak the Bmc website gives info on antibiotics,diamox etc.You should be able to get all these on a private prescripion from your gp.Or if not just buy them over the counter in pakistan.
 lost1977 08 Jun 2004
In reply to Zak:

if you give us a call on 07817871588 i should be able to give you all the info you require (first hand experience as high altitude climber and long term traveler) best to call me in evening or between 2-3pm (can take calls at other times but will be at work)

will also be able to tell you which to get over here and what to get once you get over there

Phil
OP Anonymous 09 Jun 2004
In reply to Zak:
Ibuprofen has been shown to be the best painkiller apart from the opiates (morphine etc) and is recommended by Wilderness Medical Training on their courses.
The best antibiotic you could take would be ciprofloxicin, a broad spectrum one. It is however a type of penicillin, so check you're not allergic. Otherwise, erythromycin.
 ben b 09 Jun 2004
In reply to Anonymous: Erm, ciprofloxacin (500mg twice daily) is a reasonable first line antibiotic for foreign travel as it is effective against salmonella, typhoid and the enterobacteria. It's also quite good for the clap...

It is a quinolone antibiotic and entirely unrelated to penicillin AFAIK.

Ibuprofen is handy, as is paracetamol, and won't require any fancy talking or medical notes the way that morphine would. However other non-steroidal painkillers such as piroxicam (feldene) or diclofenac (voltarol) are equally good if not more effective.

Personally I take paracetamol and brufen for headaches. For more serious pain voltarol or feldene melts are good.

If on expedition and weeks from anywhere industrial strength pain relief might be best with ketorolac (iv) or morphine, providing you have the neccessary abilities to use it safely.

HTH

Ben
 lost1977 09 Jun 2004
In reply to ben b:

If he had the knowledge/ability to use morphine safely he probably wouldn't be asking these questions (sorry)

lost1977 09 Jun 2004
In reply to Zak:

You haven't mentioned where your going/what your going to be doing in Pakistan. So I wouldn't give you too much specific info but if your going to altitude you should consider getting your dr to prescribe you some Dexamethasone and Nifedipine as so few people carry it , if it comes down to it it will increase your chances of not dying (print out the BMC Sheets and take them to your Dr he will understand)

Antibiotics- most of the good ones have been listed, can give you the doses if you want, antibiotics will be a hell of a lot cheaper in Pakistan

Phil
zak 10 Jun 2004
In reply to Zak: Thanks for all your help, especially Phil. I am off on organised trek to K2 base camp and over Gondogroro La pass (just under 6000m), nearly 4 weeks. Ascent usually 350m or less per day. If any one has any more advice or can suggest further reading, eg.is Mountainering medicine by Fred Darvill good?

Good to hear from anyone whose ever been to this area, or done this trek.

thanks Zak
iceferret 10 Jun 2004
In reply to zak:

By all means take diamox with you but on an organised trek the acclimatisation will be well sorted and they usually carry a small hospital anyway. Both my climbing partner and I have been over 6000mts ( not 7000 yet )and we,ve never needed more than paracetamol yet oh and perhaps a bit of immodium for the inevitable stomach/arse bug. Have fun and take a good camera
 Damo 11 Jun 2004
In reply to zak:

I've bought antibiotics in Pakistan, in Karimabad, which is not where you're going but it means getting them in Islamabad is no problem. There is at least one decent pharmacy at the area known as 'Super Market', where all the decent shops are. I bought Cipro and Flagyl and they were ridiculously cheap. They had Urdu script on one side and english on the other. Most pharmacists will speak at least a bit of english anyway.

But as someone said, if it is a properly organised commercial trek then they will have a very good first aid kit with this stuff in it - and more I would hope. But it doesn't hurt to have a few bits and pieces on yourself just in case, particularly decent painkillers, ibuprofen or stronger (Nurofen Plus etc).

If you were doing the Baltoro trek (which I have not done) then you have plenty of time to acclimatise and certainly shouldn't need Diamox. But going in over the Gondo La (la means pass, so don't say La Pass, it's like saying you're going to the pub pub) has a more intense height gain, so it depends on your itinerary. Most commercial operations rush their trips, though they swear blind otherwise, so it is wise to have a good think about AMS for this trek.

D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...