UKC

Trekking Poles as Plane Baqgge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mark hendy 09 Jun 2004
Has anyone found a good way to pack trekking poles (that don't collapse short enough to fit inside a rucksack) to get onto a a plane when 1) the baggage allowance is 1 piece - and that's the rucksack - and 2) they won't be allowed on as cabin baggage because they are possibly dangerous. I've tried finding some plastic pipe to shove them in that I could attach to the rucksack but because the grips are angled the smallest pipe they will fit inside is 4 inch sewer pipe!
OP chris tan 09 Jun 2004
In reply to mark hendy:

Have you tried dismantling them?
Red Sonja 09 Jun 2004
In reply to mark hendy:

I always tape them together, then when I check in just ask "Do you want me to check these in or take them on the plane ?" and they've always said "check them in" without quibbling about the number of items.
(Disclaimer : this was not on discount airlines, so they may not do the same - depends where you're going, but longhaul you should be OK)
mark hendy 09 Jun 2004
In reply to chris tan:

> Have you tried dismantling them?

I hadn't. (Which explains why one so dumb wouldn't be allowed to carry them on as hand luggage).

When I try it 33 inches becomes 22 - which will probably fit or use a lot less sewer pipe.

Cheers Chris.

OP Anonymous 09 Jun 2004
In reply to Red Sonja:

> ... when I check in just ask "Do you want me to check these in or take them on the plane ?" and they've always said "check them in" without quibbling about the number of items.

Exactly my own experience on a number of flights.
OP chris tan 09 Jun 2004
In reply to mark hendy:

No problems, just make sure you have small bag handy for all the bits. Once took my axes apart for easy transportation, only to discover on arrival that I'd left the nuts and bolts behind!! Doh!
 vscott 09 Jun 2004
In reply to mark hendy: wrap them in your karrimat and gaffa tape the whole parcel up- works great.
robinb 10 Jun 2004
Tape them together. Tape down some bubble wap over the points, and same with your axe.

Lash em into the Compression Straps on your ruck.
31770 10 Jun 2004
U could always buy a bigger bag...

sorry i couldnt resist hehe.

but on a serious note, I have always found a big bag (65+ letre) useful. If u use it again its a worthy investment.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...