UKC

Charlet Moser Ice Screw Clip Rack - useful for nut racking ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan Bates 04 Aug 2004
It's all in the title, I've never used them, but am thinking of doing so with nuts, any pro or con comments are welcome
 TobyA 04 Aug 2004
In reply to Alan Bates: Why on earth would you do that? Just put your nuts on krab, then if you get the wrong one you've got the alternatives in your hand.

the CM racks aren't even perfect for racking ice screws on.
 DNS 04 Aug 2004
In reply to Alan Bates:

If it's the one I'm thinking of there are a couple of possible issues.

It fits on your harness and you remove the pro. one piece at a time. OK for screws where you make the decision on length before attempting to place them. For nuts, whilst I can generally estimate the size I need to within one either way, I'm not always right first time. I find it easier to unclip a krab of a few nuts and know I've got the right size somewhere in my hand. maybe I need more practice.

Removing the pro entails pushing it against the spring-steel clip. This is easy enough with pegs and screws as they are rigid. It would be a little more fiddly with a flexible wire. I've not tried this, however.
OP Alan Bates 04 Aug 2004
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Alan Bates) Why on earth would you do that?
Not sure I do, I'd never considered it until talking to a guide in Chamonix recently, who reckoned that he found it easier to remove a nut from this clip than using a krab with a range of nuts on(as I, like you have always done). I'm simply asking for other peoples experiences, I've certainly not seen people racking nuts this way in the UK
OP Alan Bates 04 Aug 2004
In reply to DNS: Yes we're certainly talking about the same piece of kit
 TobyA 04 Aug 2004
In reply to Alan Bates: But like DNS said you can only take one off at a time and its attached to your harness. I think the guide owned three nuts if that was going to work.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...