UKC

Footwear for Kimm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
RobE 23 Aug 2004
Road running shoes are out, apparently. Does anyone have experience of doing Kimm in walking boots?

It's the first time I've entered, I don't fell run and would rather not fork out for fell running shoes. Only want to finish really - any advice re footwear would be much appreciated.
 Rubbishy 23 Aug 2004
In reply to RobE:

Buy some walshes or similar.

You will get wet and your boots will weigh about the same as a box of freshly pulped Owl and cragrats.

If it dry you will be ok but the KIMM is notorious for being wet and boggy.
Removed User 23 Aug 2004
In reply to RobE:

Not boots!

I would definitely go for fell shoes....as long as your pack is as light as possible.

Not sure if the offers still 'running' (no pun intended but Pete Bland Sports were selling adidas swoops for £40 a pair.

They are pretty good shoes....IMHO and don't fall to bits like the Walshes I've had recently. Not a brilliant grip on wet rock but what is?!
 Paul Atkinson 24 Aug 2004
In reply to RobE: Hi. You do see plenty of people in boots but as JR says above it must be very unpleasant (and heavy) once they get completely waterlogged. Also, you may find Walshes (or whatever) more useful than you think, even if you don't intend to fell run. They are really good approach shoes and are the lightest thing around to stick in a samll pack or on the back of your harness to avoid long painful descents in rock shoes. I often use mine in preference to boots for hillwalking with my wife if not carrying much of a sac.

You might find Pete Bland sports or Running Bear have some barely used second hand ones as fit and suitability are hard to assess without use.

cheers, Paul
Jon Cook 26 Aug 2004
In reply to RobE: TO echo what people have said deff avoid boots, the route setters on the KIMM LOVE rivers crossings and horrendously boggy ground!
 Blinder 26 Aug 2004
In reply to Jon Cook: Trial shoes are a resonable compromise, however fellshoes are the way forward. However I am sure aprroach shoes would also be fine.
 Allan Thomson 26 Aug 2004
Why not try offroad trainers. I have some Reebok Armadillo's and they're great for fell running in, and give plenty of bounce.
 Bob 26 Aug 2004
In reply to Allan Thomson:

I have some Saucony trail shoes that are pretty good - even better with Sorbothane insoles. I also have Sorbothane insoles in my Nike Walsh rip-offs (sorry I meant "version of" there), makes a great difference to the cardboard liner that most shoes come with.

Bob
 Allan Thomson 26 Aug 2004
In reply to Bob:
Yep cardboard liners are terrible for off road shoes. I destroyed a brand new pair of shoes in a bog on a mountain marathon, because the cardboard liners in them went soggy and disintegrated.
 HC~F 28 Aug 2004
In reply to RobE: I attempted the Saunders in walking boots, and got very wet heavy feet. Even though I'm attempting more of a fast walk than a run in a 'I just want to finish' kind of attempt, I'm still stuck between approach shoes and trail running shoes. I'm not sure whether trail running shoes are enough of a step up from 'ordinary trainers' that the KIMM said you're not allowed? I'm not sure how much use I'd get out of fell running shoes, although in an ideal world I want to start getting into fell running a bit more.
I've been advised by a couple of people to get some gortex socks - does anyone else use them and rate them?
 Bob 28 Aug 2004
In reply to helen taylor:

Fell running shoes are fine as approach shoes or for doing things like the Cuillin Ridge.

Mrs Bob uses Sealskin socks for mountain biking in winter and reckons that they are pretty good. Don't know if they do a runner's version though.

Bob
 Jonathan T 29 Aug 2004
In reply to helen taylor: I ran in trail shoes last year, won't do it again - far too unstabe over rough ground. Goretex socks are great, but if the water is running down your legs or you are wading through streams then they aren't much use. Having said that, copious amounts of gaffer tape can make a reasonably waterproof seal.
RobE 31 Aug 2004
In reply to RobE:

Thanks to all for the advice. I plumped for a pair of Adidas Swoop in the end, bought unseen off the web for £40. They arrived on Saturday, I ran in them at the weekend and am happy to say they're f'kin brilliant.

Very comfy, very light, very grippy. Me and the dog had the best run of our lives.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...