UKC

Nikwax tech wash/tx direct

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Mountain Jedi 27 Aug 2004
Hi, Has anyone got any tips on using the above products? I really need to wash and proof a pair of Paramo trousers and a old gortex top and a Marmot precip jacket, I've read the instructions on the bottles but before i do it i was wondering if anyone had any other hints?

Thanks Steve
 TN 27 Aug 2004
In reply to Mountain Jedi:

You're supposed to run the washing machine empty first, to get rid of any traces of washing powder/liquid.
ceri 27 Aug 2004
In reply to Mountain Jedi: tumble dry after tx direct-ing for best waterproofness.
 alisonk 27 Aug 2004
In reply to Mountain Jedi: Run the washing machine on rinse at least twice and take out the powder tray and give it a clean - there is probably a load of fabric conditioner gunked on.

I don't have a tumbledryer so use a cool iron instead.
Steve Humm 4395 27 Aug 2004
In reply to alisonj: Thanks for the advice, just checked out my detergent tray and it was full of gunk!

s
Voodoo 28 Aug 2004
In reply to Steve Humm 4395: Put the machine on a rinse cycle to clear any detergent, and clean your draw out. Follow instructions for the amount to use in your area, put your machine on lowest heat and economy setting, and then wash away. Then, whilst still wet, do the same with the TX-Direct, and tumble dry on a low heat for about 60 mins if you can (some jackets suggest not to) Heat isn't necessary for TX direct to work, unlike grangers products etc, which need to be heat activated.
 Ridge 28 Aug 2004
In reply to Voodoo:
Hmmmm..
Dunno about heat not been needed. My Paramo certainly seemed a lot better for a tumble dry. If the garment labels say it's safe to tumble dry I'm sure it'll be better than drip-dry alone.
Voodoo 29 Aug 2004
In reply to Ridge: Oh yeah, it definitely works BETTER with heat, but unlike Grangers it will work to an extent without it. Some people don't like tumble drying their jackets, so I just thought I'd add that. :0) BY the way, Nikwax do a soft shell proofer which doesn't need tumble drying at all, so if anyone's thinking of reproofing their soft shell i suggest checking that out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...