UK Operations position at Action Challengeadded Mar/2010
announcement by manufacturer
ACTION CHALLENGE UK was set up to create and organise exciting challenge events worldwide for charity and corporate clients. Over the last 10 years the company has sent thousands of individuals on a range of adventure challenges, from cycle rides across Borneo and the Patagonian Andes, to trekking in the Moroccan deserts and across the mountains of Mongolia and raised millions for charities the world over. We are at a very exciting stage in our development, where we are increasing staff numbers and managing significantly higher profile clients. We are looking for the right people to join our small but enthusiastic team and assist in its further development.
The full time salary banding for this post is starting at £24,000 inclusive of London Weighting (plus international travel) and depending on experience.
- Reports to: Director
- Location: Highbury London N5
- Hours: 39 per week 5 days (9am ľ 5.30pm)
- Leave: 27 days per annum
Preliminary stages of setting up events
- Working with already established ground handlers or identifying new partners, specifying the Action Challenge ethos on quality of services, style of management, hard negotiating on price and real commercial strength. Creating all contractual agreements and booking operational dates.
- Ensuring with other members of the team that all participant details correct and in place, rooming lists, dietary requirements, special requests, group requests etc. Dealing with queries from clients regarding all elements of the challenges.
- Managing guides and doctors your challenges. Confirming all have contractual agreements in place and all are prepared for their challenge with briefings, manuals and relevant documentation.
- Assist with and if requested give presentations to interested charities and participants on challenges in your region. Work alongside the marketing team, supporting charities marketing programmes by providing text and images and proofing any relevant documentation.
Secondary stages of a challenge, during or on an event
- Ensuring all relevant staff have challenge emergency packs.
- Ensuring all implementation of transport/food/accommodation/services and in-country logistics for each event is as contracted.
- As you will be one of the main knowledge basis in the company you will ensure that any queries are answered and that the challenge is running smoothly.
- All emergencies will eventually be handled by you as you will be on call throughout the time of an event including evenings and weekends.
- Dealing with feedback from the field, clients and challenge leaders.
- Organising and conducting post-challenge debriefs with Clients, Guides and Doctors and detailed information fed back to the ground handler.
- implementing changes to improve the programme to avoid re-occurrence of problems. Being pro-active to avoid future complaints, following up on feedback from comments where necessary.
- Updating all files and documentation post challenges to implement any changes or improvements.
We are looking for a graduate who has travel industry experience, a real eye-for-detail and is familiar with liaising with overseas operators. You will be aware of the range of components that make up overseas events, the levels of planning that needs to be reached and identification of risks and contingencies that make up successful events for large groups in foreign countries.
You will be commercially astute with the ability to question and challenge what could be accepted at face value by others, whilst negotiating on behalf of Action Challenge to enhance the specification or lower the cost of an event. We would require proof of organisational and time management skills, the ability to juggle many balls at a time, the ability to prioritise workloads and to work with initiative and real self motivation. All this will play an important role in candidate selection.
- Excellent organisational, administrative and numeric skills.
- Knowledge of flight booking systems.
- Enthusiasm and dedication as part of dynamic and growing team of guides, office staff.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills, including fluency and literacy in English.
- Enthusiasm with the initiative to develop effective systems and work independently and as part of a team with the Directors.
- Computer literate with good working knowledge of Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook and the Internet.
- Sound knowledge of 'world geography' and good travel experience.
- A willingness to travel and assist in leading our groups overseas.
- Excellent level of fitness.
- A second language would be desirable.
- First aid qualified.
SOME OF OUR CLIENTS
Our clients include charities and companies as diverse as Scope, Barretstown, The British Heart Foundation, The British Red Cross, Barnardo's, Concern, MAG, ICT, Irish Heart Foundation, Phones4U, The Citizens Foundation, Fighting Blindness, The Foundation for the Study of Infant Deaths, International Childcare Trust, Marsh & McLennan, Muscular Dystrophy Campaign, NCH Ireland, Orange, Sense, Sense International, Shelter, St. Andrews Hospice, Sue Ryder Care, WellChild, White & Case, Wragge & Co., and many more.
SOME OF OUR EVENTS IN 2010
...Everest Base Camp Trek, Kilimanjaro Climb, Cycle Southern India, Great Wall of China Trek, Cambodia Community Challenge, Peru Inca Challenge, Morocco Atlas Challenge, Romanian Cycle, Climb Aconcagua, Kerala Cycle, Trek Brazilian, Trek Serengeti, Trek Nepal, Trek Darhamsala, Cycle Tanzania, Trek Tuscany, Trek Norway, Cycle Malawi, Trek Hawaii, Cycle Vietnam, Cycle South Africa, Camino de Santiago, Trek Sicily, Alps Challenge, Cycle Sri Lanka, London to Paris Cycle, Climb Mt Blanc, Trek Ethiopia, Trek Lesotho, Trek Grand Canyon, Trek Sahara, Trek Kerala, as well as UK events...
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Gear News and Outdoor Industry News at UKC and UKH presents climbing, walking and mountaineering equipment and stories that will be of interest to UKClimbing.com's readers. They are not gear reviews and are provided by companies that advertise with UKClimbing Limited. Please feel free to comment about the stories and products on the associated thread.