|Allcord Sponsors Simon Yates
added Mar/2012, see all Allcord news & reviews
product news by Allcord Ltd
This announcement has been read 2,110 times
Simon Yates' first book Against the Wall was published to critical acclaim in 1997 and was runner up in The Boardman Tasker Award for mountain literature. His second book The Flame of Adventure was published in 2001 and was short-listed for a prize in the prestigious Banff Mountain Book Festival. His third book The Wild Within will be published in March 2012.
Outdoor Industry News
News from Allcord:
Related UKC Forum discussions:
We are delighted to have Simon join our team, says Allcord MD Kieron MacKenzie.
"Simon will work closely across all our brands but his key focus will be with our climbing ranges from CAMP, ClimbX, Tendon and Trangoworld. This is a significant change of direction and investment for Allcord which we believe further demonstrates our commitment to driving our business and the brands we distribute forward. We are pleased to be able to sponsor not just Simon but also his forthcoming lecture series which will take him around the UK just as he launches his third book, The Wild Within."
Internationally acclaimed mountaineer Simon Yates is one of Britain's most prolific and accomplished exploratory mountaineers, best known for his role in Joe Simpson's book and the subsequent film, Touching the Void. In a career spanning nearly thirty years Simon's climbing and travelling has taken him from Alaska in the west to Australia in the east, from the Canadian Arctic in the north to the tip of South America.
More information on Simon:
- The first ascent of the West face of Siula Grande (6356m) in the Peruvian Andes in 1985.
- The first ascents of Leyla Peak (6300m) and Nemeka (6400m) in the Pakistani Karakoram in 1987.
- Reached summit with team making the first British ascents of Khan Tengri (6995m) in Kazakhstan in 1991.
- With team making a new route on the Central Tower of Paine in Chilean Patagonia in 1992.
- The first ascent of Monte Ada (2100m) in Chilean Tierra del Fuego, 2001.
- The first ascent of the S.W.Face of Hispar Sar (6400m), Pakistan, in 2004
- A new route on the West Face of Mount Alverstone (4439m) in the remote Wrangell - St Elias ranges on the Alaskan - Yukon border in 2005.
- Eight first ascents of Peaks in Milneland, Greenland, 2008.
- The first alpine-style ascent of the massive 3km SW Ridge of Good Neighbor Peak in the Wrangell in 2009.
- Thirteen first ascents in the Saven Range, Eastern Greenland, 2011.
In addition to climbing for himself, Simon has successfully guided clients to the summits of peaks such as Ama Dablam (6856m) in Nepal, Denali (6145m) in Alaska, Aconcagua (6960m) in Argentina, Khan Tengri (6995m) in Kazakhstan, Spantik (7027m) in Pakistan and Peak Lenin (7134m) in Kyrgyzstan.
Gear News and Outdoor Industry News at UKC and UKH presents climbing, walking and mountaineering equipment and stories that will be of interest to UKClimbing.com's readers. They are not gear reviews and are provided by companies that advertise with UKClimbing Limited. Please feel free to comment about the stories and products on the associated thread.
Please support the following outdoor retailers who support UKClimbing.com