What's Available: Walking / Mountaineering Axesadded Jun/2014, see all DMM, C.A.M.P, Black Diamond, Grivel, Petzl, Climbing Technology, Edelrid or Salewa news & reviews
announcement by manufacturers
With the alpine summer season now in full swing many people are getting kitted out with spikey, shiney toys to safeguard their alpine ascents. If you're in the market for a long handled Ice Axe for either this summer's alpine season or next winter's Scottish maelstrom, then look no further.
Below we have listed 8 axes, each from a different manufacturer so that you can compare weights and prices and decide which axe is for you.
Grivel Munro - £60
From cutting steps to arresting a slip, the Munro will quickly become your faithful companion on fells and corries.
- BLADE - Classical Negative
- SHOVEL/HAMMER - shovel
- WEIGHT - 480g
- SHAFT RESISTANCE - 280 kg, B Rated
More Info: Grivel Website
C.A.M.P Alpina - £110
The curve and arc of the adze have been optimized for maximum cutting performance, a feature greatly appreciated when chopping a sleeping platform. In addition, the sculpted head with the thermoplastic cap creates a comfortable hand grip when using the axe as a cane.
- Sizes: 50, 57, 65, 73 cm
- Shaft: T
- Pick: T
- Spike: Chromoly Steel
- Leash: Yes
- Weight: 470 g, 16.6 oz
More Info: CAMP Website
Petzl Summit - £130
The SUMMIT is designed for modern classic mountaineering. A result of the expertise acquired over many years, Petzl have taken a new technical approach to this category of axe.
The slightly curved shaft provides the necessary clearance on steep or icy terrain with a light, hot forged steel head attached to a texturised, rubber shaft ensuring minimum weight and maximum efficiency with great thermal insulation.
- Curved upper shaft allows good clearance during climbing, while the straighter lower part guarantees efficient penetration in snow
- The pick is thin (3.5 mm) at the tip to ensure solid purchase in ice, and wide in the middle (8 mm) for soft snow
- The pick's curve and upper teeth increase the axe's holding power in piolet rampe usage
- Tilted adze directs the axe correctly into the snow (piolet-canne usage)
- Head and spike are equipped with wide, oval holes for easily clipping a carabiner
- Stainless steel spike ensures excellent grip on rock
- Available in 52cm (495g), 59cm (535g) and 66cm (570g)
More Info: Petzl Website
DMM Cirque - £85
Our popular workhorse walking and mountaineering axe is now even sleeker and stronger.
The new handle provides superb grip and the fully T-rated pick and shaft provides ultimate security in self-arrest and belay building. Now also available in a hammer option for when the going gets steeper and two axes are required.
A perfect pairing for lightweight semi technical mountaineering.
Available in 50cm (565g), 55cm (583g), 60cm (604g), 65cm (626g).
More Info: DMM Website
Black Diamond Raven - £79.99
The aluminum shaft and investment-cast stainless steel head provide durable, classic functionality-whether you're plunging up a snowy chute or traversing a jagged crevasse field.
The comfortable dual-density grip increases holding power for icy steps and short steep sections where you need to use the axe like a modern ice tool.
- Durable, aircraft-grade aluminum shaft
- Investment-cast, one-piece stainless steel head with a large hole for a carabiner
- Comfortable, dual-density molded grip
- Pick's curve and teeth engineered for secure self-arresting
- Equipped with Slider Leash
- CEN-B certified
Weight With Leash : [55 cm] 505 g (1 lb 2 oz)
More Info: Black Diamond Website
Climbing Technology Alpin Tour G - £70
- hardened steel cataphoresis black head;
- tapered anodized light alloy shaft, with rubber cover equipped with a new spike at the base;
- comes complete with its own ice axe leash Drag-Tour
Lengths: 50cm, 60cm, 70cm
Weights: 610g, 640g, 660g
More Info: Climbing Technology Website
Salewa Tour X - £110
- Head and pick of steel hot-forged in one piece for exceptional stiffness
- 360° bonding technology makes rivets unnecessary and means a longer-lasting tool
- Secure grip even in low temperatures and wet conditions with the ergonomically shaped Progrip shaft and a roughened grip zone
- Intelligently positioned openings offer plenty of room for securing carabiners or slings for belay or rescue
WEIGHT: 465 g
LENGTHS: 55cm, 62cm, 70cm
More Info: Salewa Website
Edelrid Raid - £125
Lengths: 50cm, 60cm
Weights: 575g, 615g
- Slightly curved aluminium shaft and hardened steel pick make light work of steep, alpine terrain
- Ergonomically-shaped head perfect for smooth plunging on the uphill
- Wide adze for efficient step cutting
- Hardened steel spike with opening to accommodate a carabiner
- Modular construction can be adapted to suit all uses and conditions
- Supplied with grip sticker and allen key
More Info: Edelrid Website
What's Available articles appear once every couple of months on UKC and UKH. They are compilation articles of items submitted by manufacturers/distributors to UKC/UKH and we choose a genre of product relevant to the season we are publishing in. The text is direct from the manufacturers/distributors and these items are in no way intended as reviews. Since the manufacturers submit different specifications it isn't always possible to have directly comparable data between items. What they do offer is a quick reference to similar items some of which have previously appeared on UKC/UKH as items on their own.
|Big range of Alpine ice axes at excellent prices.|
See this product at the Needle Sports shop
|free UK delivery available|
See this product at the The Epicentre shop
|We have an amazing range of walking and mountaineering axes in stock,. Always.|
See this product at the Joe Brown - Snowdonia shop
|Great range in stock.|
See this product at the Cold Mountain Kit shop
See this product at the Ellis Brigham shop
|Loads of Axes from Black Diamond, Petzl and Camp in stock|
See this product at the Elite Mountain Supplies shop
|Buy Now with Free UK Delivery!|
See this product at the Outside Ltd shop
Gear News and Outdoor Industry News at UKC and UKH presents climbing, walking and mountaineering equipment and stories that will be of interest to UKClimbing.com's readers. They are not gear reviews and are provided by companies that advertise with UKClimbing Limited. Please feel free to comment about the stories and products on the associated thread.