REVIEW: Inner Hebrides and Arran Guidebook£25.00, added Jul/2014
Reviewed by Mark Glaister - Assistant Editor
This guidebook documents 2500 plus climbs spread out across the islands – with a number of the islands being included in a climbing guidebook for the first time. Deep water soloing and bouldering is also covered which, along with the extremely varied geology adds even more diversity to the areas cache.
This guidebook will be of greatest interest to the visitor (there being a very limited number of indigenous climbers I imagine) and the information provided on ferry sailings, and accommodation etc is excellent.
The book has chapters on the geology and climbing history of the area covered and a listing of first ascents, but the meat of the book is devoted to documenting the climbs themselves.
The Inner Hebridian climbing is - with a couple of exceptions - dominated by single pitch cragging on both inland and seaside cliffs of various geology ranging from basalt to granite. There is plenty for all climbers operating in the lower and mid grades and some very stern harder offerings.
The Arran section of the book covers its superb mountain granite rock climbs and smaller number of winter routes.
The photographs and topos are clear and reflect the nature of the climbs and ambience of the Islands well – although many are rather small.
This is a well put together and inspiring guidebook that will mainly appeal to the holidaying climber looking for somewhere a bit different and off of the beaten track, and/or those wanting to tick off a few of the Isle of Arrans granite classics.
More Information: SMC Website
See this product at the Needle Sports shop
|£25.00. Buy Now with Free UK Delivery!|
See this product at the Outside Ltd shop
- REVIEWED: Edelrid Jay II and Jayne Harnesses Jan-15
- Five of the UK's best VS Routes Dec-14
- Sherpa Lakpa Rita and KritiTech Shell Jackets Oct-14
- The Primus ExpressLander Stove Feb-13
- The Beta Stick Compact Nov-12
- Locking Gate Karabiners With Added Safety Features Nov-12
- World Climbing: Rock Odyssey by Simon Carter Mar-12
- The Evolv Shaman Rock Shoe Jan-12
- COMPARISON REVIEW: All-round Quickdraws Oct-11
- Destination guide to Ceuse, France Aug-11