The Currie Wa’s we’re discovered and used by legendary climber Dougal Haston with friends James (Eley) Moriarty and Jim Stenhouse while all three grew up in the village of Currie in the 1950’s. Indoor climbing walls didn’t exist back in the day so the Currie Boys would train on bridges, walls and embankments along the old Caledonian Railway Line. This railway is no longer in use and has been converted into the Water of Leith Walkway and is used to access the “climbs”, The routes are all on man-made structures, up to 6m in height and traverses of 35m with little or no protection. Due to neglect and lack of traffic many of the routes have become grubby and vegetated. The Tannery Bridge probably has the cleanest routes and the Brick Wall has had some gardening recently.
The Water of Leith Walkway is a popular route for cyclists and it
LRT 44, 44A or 45 from central Edinburgh, depart bus at Gibson Craig Hall (EH14 5NZ) and follow directions given by car. Depart further along A70 at Stewart Street stop for Tannary Bridge routes.
Heading west through Currie along the A70 Lanark Road West, turn left after traffic lights / Gibson Craig bus stop) onto the Kirkgate and park in car park immediately on the left. Carry on foot and find way onto bridge over the road and walk west for 10 minutes to the Upper Bowling Green Wall. For the Brick Wall & the Tannery Bridge walk further West along towpath or park along Stewart Road (EH14 5SH) and descend private road to walkway, turn right to bridge or left to Piggery Wall
Eastern Outcrops and Creagh Dubh
|1||Upper Bowling Green Wall *||IV|
|LOWER BOWLING GREEN WALL|
|3||Chimney Route *||II|
|4||Right Arete *||IV|
|5||Left Arete *||III|
|6||Gridle Traverse *||IV|
|7||Brick wall *||VI|
|USER FEEDBACK||Login as Existing User to add your comments|
|There are no comments from visitors to this crag.|