Ten Killed in Nanga Parbat Attackby Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com Jun/2013
This news story has been read 22,236 times
On Saturday night gunmen reportedly posing as police killed ten people at the Nanga Parbat base camp in the Gilgit-Baltistan area of Pakistan.
Nine tourists from China, the Ukraine and Lithuania died in the attack, along with one guide who's nationality has been variously described as Pakistani or Nepali. One Chinese survivor has been recovered.
The attack is thought to have been carried out by Sunni militants, though reports vary as to the name of the group responsible. The Pakistani Taliban have contacted the BBC to claim responsibility. It's also been claimed that the victims were robbed before being shot.
'There were nine foreigners and one Pakistani. The incident took place around 10:00 pm (1700 GMT Saturday). They were mountaineers' Diamer police official Mohammed Naveed told AFP.
'Gunmen came and opened fire on them. It is confirmed that they have been killed'.
Gilgit-Baltistan is part of disputed Kashmir, where in recent years sectarian violence has been targeted at the Shia minority. However this is the first such attack on foreign tourists in the remote mountain region.
Speaking to Pakistan's Parliament, Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar claimed the gunmen were disguised as paramilitary police, and gained access to the camp by kidnapping two guides. That far into the mountains, there was no police escort to protect the tourists.
'They abducted two guides and through them reached the area. One guide was killed in the shoot-out. One is alive. He is now detained and being questioned' he said.
On Radio Pakistan Gilgit governor Syed Mehdi Shah said:
'A lot of tourists come to this area in the summer, and our local people work to earn money from these people. This will not only affect our area, but will adversely affect all of Pakistan.'
Over the next week, the best young climbers from around the world will have the chance compete across three disciplines in the... Read more
Alex Megos has made the first repeat of Adam Ondra's ~60m monster, Thor's hammer, ~9a+, in the Flatanger cave in Norway.... Read more
This summer, I'm guessing 11 July, Roland Hemetzberger managed to make the first free ascent of Delirium, an 8c multi-pitch... Read more
Chamonix-based British alpinists Jon Griffith and Andy Houseman have just returned from Pakistan having made the successful first... Read more
A group of youths have reportedly attacked climbers at , Cromford last week. Police are appealing for information concerning the... Read more