UKC

Bar end shifters

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Dave the Rave 13 Apr 2024

Afternoon

I need to replace the left bar end shifter on my surly cross check 2012 2x 9 speed. It’s currently a shimano one.

The bikes not used much so I’m not after Duda ace etc unless second hand and cheap.

Do I need to measure the bar diameter or are they a universal fitting? Does it need to be a 2 main chainring one or will a 3 chainring one do? 
thanks a lot

dave

MarkAstley 13 Apr 2024
In reply to Dave the Rave:

I wouldn't chance using a triple shifter, cable pull distances probably different. 

Not sure on diameter question, 

Mark

Brass Nipples 13 Apr 2024

The front shifter is friction and you don’t have the distinction between 2 or 3 chain rings.  It’s only relevant for indexed shifters.  

You don’t need to measure the bar internal diameter.  They mount via an expanding wedge will fit old school to modern bar widths.

I might have an unused new dura ace left hand bar end shifter if interested. Otherwise I’d recommended Microshift bar end shifters which is what I use these days.

OP Dave the Rave 13 Apr 2024
In reply to Brass Nipples:

Thanks a lot Brass et al.

There are SunRace R90 SLR-R9 Bar End Shifters at winstanleys for £35. Do you reckon these are adequate?

I only need to repair it so that it works, I’m not a big rider anymore. I just want it to change gear

ta

dave

Brass Nipples 13 Apr 2024

Never used sun race but they would do the job.

OP Dave the Rave 13 Apr 2024
In reply to Brass Nipples:

Thanks a lot Brass👍

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...