UKC

Bike lights nicked

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pids 27 Mar 2015
Bah, stupidly left my lights on the bike when I parked it after this mornings commute, not there when I went back this evening.
Bike parked in bike park in train station, only access to cyclists so looks like a fellow cyclist needed them more than me - oh well, at least the clocks change this weekend so hopefully not need then for a few months.

It is annoying though, even though my fault for leaving them on my bike!
 deepsoup 27 Mar 2015
In reply to Pids:
That's v irritating, commiserations.
(And hooray for lighter evenings next week!)
:O)
 AlisonSmiles 27 Mar 2015
In reply to Pids:

I work in depths of the Manchester Velodrome, and one of my colleagues had her bike light nicked from the staff bike store. Happens everywhere. However, they did leave her more expensive one so she reckoned it was out of need. Ignoring the fact that Evans Cycles is next door ...
 girlymonkey 27 Mar 2015
In reply to Pids:

That does suck. If you are needing to replace them though, I got one of these last week and it's amazingly bright for such a wee light. I am happy with it as my only front light, and not all the streets I cycle on are well lit.
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/lights-locks/lights/knog-blinder-1-front-li...
OP Pids 27 Mar 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

Aye, it may be ok but I'm no sure it would do me for over Fenwick moor in the darker days

Oh well, excuse for me to visit bike shop tomorrow, and with that weather forecast I'm no likely to be doing much else!
 girlymonkey 27 Mar 2015
In reply to Pids:

no, it's probably not an off-roading light. It's brighter than my other commuting lights though, very impressive for such a tiny thing!
In reply to Pids:

Yeah not a cycling day. I had a lovely wind assisted ride over Fenwick Moor yesterday.

At least lights are discounted this time of year.
 Neil Williams 28 Mar 2015
In reply to Pids:

I've had the *brackets* off my lights nicked. I've taken to taping them on to discourage that, which has worked so far. I really don't understand why they only seem to fit using big rubber bands these days rather than properly screwing on like they used to.

Neil
Donnie 28 Mar 2015
In reply to Neil Williams:

Get Leyzne ones.

Te bracket is a rubber band fixed to the light, so you take the whole lot with you. Nothing left to nick. The pricey-er ones are USB re-chargable as well, which is convenient.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/lezyne/zecto-drive-light-set-ec052668
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/lezyne/femto-drive-light-set-ec052665
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/lezyne/ktv-drive-lights-pair-ec068657
 Neil Williams 28 Mar 2015
In reply to Donnie:

I've got older Lezyne ones with separate, awkward shape brackets. Should look at the new ones.

Neil
 JEF 28 Mar 2015
In reply to Pids:

I got back to my bike at the train station after a night shift; someone had nicked the seat post and saddle. I had to ride standing up all the way home, annoying and uncomfortable.
 LastBoyScout 30 Mar 2015
In reply to Pids:

The bike rack where I work seems to have a good assortment of things available to nick on most bikes - lights and even saddle packs. On the other hand, I'm not aware anything's ever been nicked, as it's in the depths of a business park and thieves are either too lazy to go there or would be picked up by site security.

I don't leave anything on my bikes when I park them anywhere, out of habit.

Only thing I've ever had nicked at a station bike rack - apart from the occasion where someone nicked the whole bike - were the quick releases from the wheels! I found a couple of bits, could see a couple more bits on the track and no sign of the rest. A few other bikes had also been done. That was a long walk home late at night I now have anti-theft skewers on anything I'll leave at a station.
 Neil Williams 30 Mar 2015
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Yes, I've had that too. I'd assumed they wanted the wheel but settled on only the skewers when they found the wheels were locked.

Neil
 gethin_allen 30 Mar 2015
In reply to Pids:

I returned to my bike after work today to find the rear light half un screwed (you have to undo the bracket to get the light off). No way it could have got like this by it's self and I'd have noticed it on the ride in.

It seems someone must have tried to steal it but got disturbed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...