UKC

Bike upgrade or new bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Batt 09 Nov 2014
Current bike: kinesis tk3, alu, carbon fork, tiagra, r501 (I think) wheels

I can't decide whether to upgrade this bike, ie lighter wheels and 105/ultegra or use it as a winter bike and get a new bike with higher spec stuff for summer/Alps use.

But I can't really afford a new bike with good spec right now so should I just go for upgrading the current one anyway or save up for the new one?!

If I upgrade do I go carbon or Ti....? Decisions decisions...

Genuine opinions gratefully received.
 Run_Ross_Run 09 Nov 2014
In reply to Batt:

I'm in the same place as you, albeit with a lower spec current bike, to get a decent carbon with good spec/wheels you're looking at 3k. I've put mine up for sale and will put the cash towards the new road bike for the summer.

Can get most of them on zero apr so maybe consider that.
OP Batt 09 Nov 2014
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

I would like a bike that will take full guards for commuting/winter so I can't really chop this one in. I'm not riding a 3k bike to work
In reply to Batt:

It depends why you want to upgrade. I've never thought a carbon frame was worthwhile unless you're racing (if I'm not getting paid I'm obviously fast enough, so I would need to get fitter before it was worth buying a carbon bike) so I would upgrade to 105. I would only upgrade to 105 because there is a performance drop-off between Tiagra and 105 that goes beyond just weight. Lighter rims and better tyres (subjective) tend to provide performance boosts.

But maybe you just want a fancy bike?
OP Batt 09 Nov 2014
In reply to Bob_the_Builder:
Thanks, you're about the only person who's said that, it's refreshing! No I don't really want a fancy bike. I love the tk3, it gets me round locally (Peak) and it's got me up alpine cols in its current state. It's just that whenever I mention upgrading stuff on it everyone says I should just save up and buy a new bike and use the tk3 as a winter bike. Peer pressure I guess!!

I've also just had a bad accident on it and the shifters are really scuffed up and rear dérailleur is a bit mashed (frame is ok) so I need to buy a few bits which got me to thinking about upgrading since there's quite a few end of season deals on groupsets at the mo. I could get 105/Ultegra for under £300/£500 which I thinks pretty good...but £500 goes a long way too a new bike, hence the dilemma.
Post edited at 15:13
 sleavesley 09 Nov 2014
In reply to Batt:

If going the new bike route, if you can get a good deal on a last years frameset you can build the bike to your own spec and budget.

I know Andy has done it on here, as have I.
I basically built a bike up with better parts for about £1000 cheaper than RRP (and lighter).
OP Batt 09 Nov 2014
In reply to sleavesley:

I wondered about that but I'm not bike savvy enough to do it myself and not sure if my local bike shop would be unhappy if I just asked them to do the build rather than source the lot...
 andy 09 Nov 2014
In reply to Run_Ross_Run: You can do it way, way cheaper than £3k (indeed you can buy a bike from Rose or Canyon with a top spec for less than that) by bying a frame and the bits then finding a mechanic to screw it together or doing it yourself.

Westbrook Cycles were doing a Scott Foil Team Issue frame (top quality carbon frame, forks, headset, seatpost) INCLUDING 11sp Ultegra Di2 gearset (shifters, derailleurs, battery and cables) for £1400 a couple of months ago. Buy a chainset (£140), brakes (£50?), chain (£25), cassette (£35). Either reuse saddle/bars/stem or buy decent ones for <£200 all in. RS81 wheels about £350. Cables about £20. Tubes and tyres another £50. Result: <7kg bike for about £2100.

I swapped my groupset/wheels/finishing kit from my old "best bike" across onto the same frame and sold the Di2 bits for £400 - the same bike in 2013 (it's a 2013 frame) would have cost about £8k.

But have a look at Rose - mate's just bought a carbon bike with Ultegra Di2 and top quality finishing kit for about £2200.

But if you decide to go upgrade, Bike24 (German, but great service) have the new 105 11sp groupset for EUR420 - about £360?

andy 09 Nov 2014
In reply to Batt:

> I wondered about that but I'm not bike savvy enough to do it myself and not sure if my local bike shop would be unhappy if I just asked them to do the build rather than source the lot...

If you're prepared to bring your parts to (or have the stuff delivered to) Skipton and pick the bike up our friendly neighbourhood mechanic will build you a bike from whatever bits you want for about £100 labour. Let me know if you're interested and I can put you in touch. He'll also let you build it in his workshop with him overseeing you so you effectively get a really good maintenance course at the same time.
 tim000 09 Nov 2014
In reply to Batt:

how about buying a new bike with the best frame you can afford but a cheap build up . then as and when you can afford . replace the parts and swap them to your old bike
In reply to Batt:

New bikes are always nice. =]

But something to consider, it is better to spend your money on components than a frame. I.e. A better frame with worse components is generally a worse deal than a lower spec frame with better components (I'm assuming a lower spec of similar quality, not a cheapy poorly built frame). This is because worse components ride worse and generally wear faster, so you end up replacing them and often paying premium for an upgrade at a later date. The frame doesn't touch your body or drive the tyres, and those are the parts that are the most critical to get right. (saddle, hoods, wheels, and drivetrain). If you're comfortable and your drivetrain is efficient and CLEAN you'll go almost as fast on an alu frame as a full carbon jobbie.
OP Batt 09 Nov 2014
Thanks all.

Andy that sounds ace but I live in Buxton and currently have a broken collarbone from same accident as damaged my bike so unfortunately I'm not going to be up to much for a bit, it's all armchair action for now But on the plus side, it does mean I have the time to rummage some of these websites for deals!
 wbo 09 Nov 2014
In reply to Batt: there is a big difference in ride between Al and carbon. I have owned and sold a couple of Al bikes as I simply hate the stiff, dull ride., and only ride steel or preferably carbon. So it depends how you feel and what you want.

In reply to wbo:

Now that is opening a whole new can of worms! Give me a '70s steel 10 speed with Shimano 600 any day of the week! (Actually I already have one. Teehee)
 BazVee 09 Nov 2014
In reply to Batt:

I've always found upgrading is an expensive route to getting a better bike, albeit mainly a mountain biker. Generally cheaper to buy the better bike as a whole.

In my opinion the only reasons for upgrading is you are sentimentally attached and want to keep it and make it a bit better or that you just can't afford the bling bike at once but could afford a few bits every now and then over a longer time period, alternatively find yourself an interest free deal somewhere.

I would have thought your local bike shop would be a bit peeved if you turn up with bits you have sourced on the cheap elsewhere and expected them to put it together at a discount. Good reason to buy a work stand and buy tools as well and fix it up yourself.
 The New NickB 09 Nov 2014
In reply to Batt:

> I wondered about that but I'm not bike savvy enough to do it myself and not sure if my local bike shop would be unhappy if I just asked them to do the build rather than source the lot...

My local shop was very happy to build mine for a fee, I did buy the saddle, bar tape and some carbon spacers from him, but he discounted the build a bit because of that.

You can definitely got more for your money that way.
 Mr Fuller 10 Nov 2014
In reply to Batt:

I've been interested in the answers to this as I plan to upgrade my current bike next year. I've a Bianchi Nirone 7, aluminium, carbon fork, Sora, wheels from a Scott bike that aren't terrible but aren't great.

I've realised that I like the bike so much I want it as my 'best' bike for the foreseeable future and so will buy a 105 groupset (11 speed 5800 set is £300 on Wiggle) and some good wheels. I'll then buy a second hand winter frame and fork and swap all my current bits onto the winter bike. I'll hopefully buy top-spec second hand finishing kit too. That means for about £800 I'll get a bike with a decent frame and good components for summer, and a purpose-built winter bike. My workshop skills aren't that great but I think building a bike and learning as you go is a good life skill to have.
 Andy Hardy 10 Nov 2014
In reply to Batt:

Bicycle Smithy in Hazel Grove makes bikes up for people, their website is poo, but it does have a phone number . http://www.bicyclesmithy.co.uk
 nniff 11 Nov 2014
In reply to Batt:

I'd go for the upgrade - 105 and tyres (more spare weight to be found in rubbish tyres than in lower end wheels). Then keep an eye out for some new wheels - wait for a good deal in the sales/end of line. In the fullness of time buy a new frame and swap all the bits over - you'll need to allow for new bar tape and cables. If you keep your old bits, you can then build up a winter bike one sale at a time. Worked for me.
 GrahamD 11 Nov 2014
In reply to Batt:

I like having two bikes. Having a winter / commuter bikes gets me out in road conditions I wouldn't otherwise contemplate. Tiagra is way better than my commuter bike Sora and I'm happy enough with that performance wise.

I don't race but I love a full carbon frame for 'best' use - I just prefer the responsiveness to the ALU commuter.

In your position I'd just start saving.....
 kevin stephens 11 Nov 2014
In reply to Batt:

save for a new bike, Dolan Tuono. If you spot any bargain components in the meantime you can snap them up and ask Dolan to use them in the build
 waldenmatt 11 Nov 2014
In reply to Batt:

> Current bike: kinesis tk3, alu, carbon fork, tiagra, r501 (I think) wheels

> I can't decide whether to upgrade this bike, ie lighter wheels and 105/ultegra or use it as a winter bike and get a new bike with higher spec stuff for summer/Alps use.

105 5800 11spd cassette is wider than some older hubs can accomodate and so you might need new wheels too If you go the upgrade route. You can still get 10spd 105 though (5700), although I don't think its much cheaper than 11, which fits most of the 8-10spd hubs.
From what I hear, 10spd cassette will work with 11spd chainrings but it won't be pretty, or at least very tough to align properly).

Also, I wouldn't be phased by doing the upgrade - you can do 90% yourself using nous and the shimano dealer manuals from the web, then get LBS to do a gear check / tune maybe?

Enjoy!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...